Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is road hunting the new thing?

ringer

Only had three full days to hunt the Kaibab for rifle deer. I haven't rifle hunted anything for 14 years and now I remember why. Out of 500 coveted tags there must have been 400 road hunters. First day I climbed the highest hill I could see +842 feet in elevation. Had a great buck at 150 yards but the sun in my scope. I could see the whole lower area and watched about 50 trucks cruising the roads and stopping to shoot using the hood as a rest. Second day as I was leaving from the morning hunt I had to stop for a new jeep with two guys out ready to shoot a deer using the door as a rest. They decided the buck was too small. The buck was a doe and there was a camp 100 yards directly behind the line of fire with four guys standing in it. Yesterday I hiked in a mile and climbed to the top of a hill surrounded by juniper. I was watching a nice 4x4 buck and two does working along 75 yards from me when five shots ring out then a reload and two more shots. One hit a tree 100 yards to my left. The road was about a half mile below me. I passed on a few easy shots on small bucks, saw 34 deer and found three nice sheds so I had a great time. I even got to see a dad in full camo with his teenaged son teaching him how to hunt. They were riding on a brand new Polaris and the kid had his rifle at ready for when they saw a deer. Back to the bow for me.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back