Is Hand Loading My Answer?

I see federal lists a box of 20 for $71, ouch.
50 Barnesttsx are $ 42
50 primers- $5 roughly
3250 grains of powder for 50 rounds- $18ish
Brass- if you have once fired?

About $65 for 50 rounds
Don’t forget the 50-75 rounds a new reloader will burn to get that first load. Plus the equipment. Worth it for the hobby/diy value, but not just to get a few seasons of ammo.

Last edited:
I see federal lists a box of 20 for $71, ouch.
50 Barnesttsx are $ 42
50 primers- $5 roughly
3250 grains of powder for 50 rounds- $18ish
Brass- if you have once fired?

About $65 for 50 rounds
Thanks Dakotakid and everyone that replied. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. I've not found any copper 270WSM factory ammo locally and only one offering through an online aggregator site.

I found some Trophy Copper online last May. Three lots of 60 rounds each. I bought one and before I could complete the purchase, the rest were also gone. Nothing more since in 270WSM (copper). I'm glad to have what I got and that is driving some of my questions. As some suggested, I'm on the notify list, but I've not gotten any message.

My interest in hand loading started as considering it an answer to the scarcity issue. The idea of any cost savings wasn't really a big consideration, though I don't want to just throw money at it either. You all have given me lots to consider. Thanks for that!

Another thought was that I could have more options if I hand loaded. There are some bullets available, if not factory ammo. Nosler and Hammer for instance. Maybe I could find some Barnes LRX, etc. I have not gotten into it that far yet.

I'm going to use all the input, links and reading lists provided here (again, thanks!) and go from there.

One thing about reloading, at least for me, is that I reload multiple calibers in multiple guns of those calibers. The end result is that you end up with a LOT of components. I find myself scanning around the major suppliers looking for things I need and things I MIGHT need sometime in the future. Then there's things you will buy for "just in case". It's a great hobby, but you also will need an understanding wife,,,,,

Don’t forget the 50-75 rounds a new reloader will burn to get that first load. Plus the equipment. Worth it for the hobby/diy value, but not just to get a few seasons of ammo.
But does a factory ammo shooter not also spend 50-75 rounds to find one that shoots in a given rifle?

But does a factory ammo shooter not also spend 50-75 rounds to find one that shoots in a given rifle?
If you add in searching for a bullet your rifle likes, handloading can quickly get over 150 to settle in. With factory you buy a box and test 10 rounds. If your rifle hates it buy a second box, etc. still cheaper and less work than handloading for rifle.

If you add in searching for a bullet your rifle likes, handloading can quickly get over 150 to settle in. With factory you buy a box and test 10 rounds. If your rifle hates it buy a second box, etc. still cheaper and less work than handloading for rifle.
Work?? WORK?? It's not work!! It's fun!! Rewarding and frustrating all at the same time.

I think you can definitely save money by reloading. You can also spend a lot more, but in that case you'll likely be shooting a lot more than you otherwise would. I've been using the same RCBS Rockchucker press for 39 years now. And the same RCBS scale that I got the same time I got the press. I haven't had a need to buy anything else other than miscellaneous tools and dies.

You can still get reasonably priced powder, if you don't buy the most popular powders. There are some really good powders at low prices, I just saw a few different options in stock this morning.

There are also very reasonably priced bullets available. Look at Speer, Hornady, and Sierra.

Primers will be the most challenging thing to find. But eventually you'll get some. But powder and bullets are not an issue at all.

I would recommend getting into reloading ASAP. No need to waste anymore money on factory loaded ammo, the prices are ridiculous.

Work?? WORK?? It's not work!! It's fun!! Rewarding and frustrating all at the same time.
I agree - I enjoy the hobby/fiddle factor - just pointing out if the only goal is to have a few seasons of ammo for one hunting rifle it is a lot of money and work. But dialing loads, trying different bullet types, etc, I find it worth the expense/time.

If you're not sure you're interested in handloading for its own sake, you might want to just get something like a Lee Challenger kit. If you've been hunting and shooting for a while and handloading has always been interesting to you, spring for something a little higher quality like an RCBS kit. I started some years back with a Lee. I gradually upgraded everything, the last thing to go was the press itself, which I replaced with a Rock chucker IV - and I should've done that sooner.
I started with a Lee kit and it's still in use over 35 yrs later. Your bigger problem is going to be finding the components at a reasonable price.

Depending on where you are, there's always an FFL that will be willing to sign in your order. Some of them are cheaper than others.
Thanks for the tip might have to check on this route. Have you had luck with this?

I bought a pound of 7828 ssc @ my lgs last week for 31.99. They are holding the line on prices and holding on to their loyal customers like me.

Something about that first 50-75 rounds. They generally only exist in the work of a true handloader snob, my being one. I know darn good and well in my rifles I can pick a powder and bullet and more than likely get decent hunting accuracy. But as a reloader that doesn't work. I look for a min 1" group at 100yds then once I find that look for something better. My elk rifle is a very old Paul Jaeger 1903 in 30-06. barrel is wasted in it. Guy I got it from shot a lot of old military primer's in it and wasted the barrel. Funny thing though is the load I use in it get's me 1 1/4", more then good enough for the ranges I'm willing to shoot. Also have killed four elk with four shots with that worn out old rifle! My Mod 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 does about the same but I don't look for more n it either! Beautiful rifle but have only ever bedded rifles with round actions and no real desire to get away from that at this point in my life. Plenty accurate enough for any shot at game I would take. But being a handloader with my other rifles, round action's, they are all bedded actions and floated barrels, I can count on 3/4" from every one of then and a few will make right at 1/2". I actually don't need that accuracy but I am a reloader and worse would be an embarrassment should someone else see it!

I think the average hunter buys a box of ammo a week before the season opens and sights in his rifle and has enough left over for hunting! If that's what you do, your just kidding yourself getting into reloading to save money, ain't even gonna come close! But if you take a lot of pride in the groups you shoot, and can afford it, reloading is the way to go. I've been reloading about 50 yrs and all my starter tools were used tools I found, no inexpensive kit's I knew of back them! When my son started I got him a Lee Anniversary kit, around $100. Since then he has added on upgrades in every new tool that comes out! He'll never come close to breaking even! Come to think of it, I doubt I will either. One major problem along the way is keeping trace of all the tools you up grade and all the different bullet's you try looking for the one that trips your trigger. It's out there, you just have to find it! I kept track of all the rounds of ammo I ever shot for years, lost the ledger in a house fire! Now I pretty much only keep track of the loads I like! Not a clue how much I've spent on different equipment over the years but, a lot! haven't bought much new in years. Replaced what I had and called it good!

I have found reloading to be an exercise in itself. You either enjoy it or you don't. Would be pretty easy to get along with just one or two CF rifles but God forbid! I only have six right now and something I did learn reloading is any one of them is capable of doing anything I would want to do. So, another cost of reloading is all the extra rifles you go through. There is a reason I believe this happens. Even those of us that won't admit it are looking for the perfect rifle load. Another thing about us is that we have any number of good rifles capable of doing what ever we want but still never satisfied. Think of the guy that has a 7mm mag, 30-06, 300mag ect but is going brown bear hunting and knows what he needs is aa 338mag or something even bigger! I'm guilty! But truth is every cartridge I mentioned has taken more brown bears cleanly than I'll ever see.

Reloading is fun and I'd start over today knowing the BS reasons for it. Probably also end up as broke as I am, go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back