Is Ammo supply coming back at all yet?

I was in academy yesterday and it did t look like there was an ammo shortage at all. Full Shelves, lots of variety, but still limits on how much you can buy. Promising though.

Rifle back to normal stocking at Sioux falls scheels.

Hardly any shotgun loads. 1/8 a shelf of non toxic and two boxes of lead. They took away the normal shelf for grinders, so they must not be expecting more anytime soon...

Plenty of 10 gauge and 16 gauge.

Rifle seemed more expensive than usual, but not crazy, maybe 25% extra.

Pistol was fully stocked too, same deal on price

I finally gave up looking for 12 gauge field loads locally. Plenty of trap/skeet ammo. I ordered a case, and paid about 25% more than normal. $205 shipped.
Cabelas Canada was selling flats of Herters trap shells for half that price shipped. Actually less. I'm thinking Canadian dollars.

I'm reloading #6 shot for my trip west in a couple of weeks. I prefer #5 but can make do with #6. It's what was available. Finding steel shells for the refuge will be a problem. Only #2 and BB steel available here. Not shooting pheasants with that stuff!

Last edited:
Still looking for Nosler Ballistic Tip 140gr in 270 win (full ammo) if anyone can help out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cabelas Canada was selling flats of Herters trap shells for half that price shipped. Actually less. I'm thinking Canadian dollars.

I'm reloading #6 shot for my trip west in a couple of weeks. I prefer #5 but can make do with #6. It's what was available. Finding steel shells for the refuge will be a problem. Only #2 and BB steel available here. Not shooting pheasants with that stuff!
If I have to shoot pheasants with steel I use #2-#3. Doesn’t work as well as lead 4s or 5s, but it works.

If I have to shoot pheasants with steel I use #2-#3. Doesn’t work as well as lead 4s or 5s, but it works.
I'll use #4 steel if I have to but have actually done very well with low base #6 steel. Refuge dove loads I guess. I tried them several years ago when it's all I could get on the way through Grand Forks. Killed the first dozen roosters without missing a shot. Some guys use the big stuff simply because those shells have less pellets and therefore less likelihood of them breaking a tooth. Not a problem if careful when cleaning the birds.

I don’t use trap loads for chukars. I could have bought them locally for 10-11 bucks a box.
Sorry. Read your post. Appeared you changed the context from field loads to trap loads before quoting a price. I thought that was a ridiculous price for trap ammo even in these stressful times.

Just wanted to report that I cannot find 270 win ammo anywhere in the Denver area :( usually I get Hornady Superformance 140gr -- I called 15+ places last night for ANY 270 ammo and it is out of stock, let alone my 'fancy' stuff. If anyone has a bead on some smaller local dealers let me know!

Just wanted to report that I cannot find 270 win ammo anywhere in the Denver area :( usually I get Hornady Superformance 140gr -- I called 15+ places last night for ANY 270 ammo and it is out of stock, let alone my 'fancy' stuff. If anyone has a bead on some smaller local dealers let me know!
I saw some 270 on the shelves in billings a couple weeks back.

Cheyenne has some (Sportmans and Jax), but that is about a 2 hour drive for you. Not much variety sitting on the shelves, mostly the expensive stuff. You know the story.

Welp I called probably 20 smaller shops and finally located some (overpriced) roughly in this zip code. Folks I talked to were saying that manufacturers right now are making less hunting rounds and more handgun/machine gun rounds. ....I guess so folks like can stockpile thousands of rounds in their bunkers for the coming apocalypse!

Anyone finding any powder whatsoever in Montana? When I stop places I ask when they get shipments so I go in early on those days only to be told they don't have any. I'm seriously believing the employees of such places buy it before it can ever make it to the shelf. fairly depressing to say the least.

Back