MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is 9mm a good round for elk?

I had a 9mm on a elk hunt one time. I shot a 5pt bull with my 30not6 get up to him and he's barely still alive. I thought I'll just pop him with this pisola and be done 8 shots to the head later, I shoot him with my rifle. The 9mm was traded in for a 357 soon there after, which killed a couple deer with one shot to the ribs.

That said I had to finish off a caribou with a 22 once. It worked about as well as the 9mm.
You definitely had the wrong Ammo then.
9mm Luger extreme penetrator has over 4 feet of penetration, hollow points aren’t the best for penetrating but I can assure you with the correct bullet construction a 9mm Luger will have no problem punching a clean hole through an elk skull, I know this from witnessing it done on more than one occasion

Shot a cow ( moo moo type) with 9mm +p+ extreme penetrators and they punched through both sides. So I guess an elk at 25 yards or less would be the same. I doubt it's legal, but its doable.
It’s definitely doable, I used to think just like most others, that a 9mm was just a step up from a 22lr in power but after seeing what it is capable of, first hand, it changed my opinion.
As long as you have a properly constructed bullet a 9mm is far more powerful than given credit for

Everyone knows that anything larger than a rat will shrug off a hail of 9mm bullets.

I'm more curious how you would have handled the bird if you had decided to shoot. A pissed off falcon sounds like a handful.
With respect, have you ever shot a 9mm?
That couldn’t be farther from the truth
Don’t just take my word for it just google successful defenses of grizzly bear with a 9mm, they actually have a 100% success rate and all the ones on record not only stopped but killed the grizzly and the same can be said to almost every other big game animal in North America.
I feel like it’s an irresponsible thing to do when you proclaim any round as nothing more than a joke then you will have folks that don’t know any better treating it as such instead of giving it the respect, of being an extremely lethal round, that it deserves

are-you-a-robot-ronnie.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back