PEAX Equipment

IPhone 14

stealthy_bowman

Just read that the new iPhone 14 will have satellite communication capability which will go live in November. If this works as advertised, it may make Zoleo and Garmin inReach obsolete.
I wouldn’t mind having one device that can do it all, I guess we’ll see…

Last edited:
Just watched some info about this phone and it looks like it'll also have crash detection that will trigger an SOS. Could help bring down highway fatalities in remote parts of the country if that technology is widely adapted. Not usually hyped about new tech, but I like where this thing is going.

I read right now that this is satellite EMERGENCY communications not the check-in and text communications that are offered by Zoleo, InReach, Spot, etc. Not saying that they couldn't figure out a way to change that but, for now, I don't see separate devices going away for non-emergency purposes. It would also be awesome if battery life were more than 12hrs of use

I read right now that this is satellite EMERGENCY communications not the check-in and text communications that are offered by Zoleo, InReach, Spot, etc. Not saying that they couldn't figure out a way to change that but, for now, I don't see separate devices going away for non-emergency purposes. It would also be awesome if battery life were more than 12hrs of use
Their website for the 14 looks like it can send messages, and relay your location to contacts for check-in. Also comes with two years of free satellite communication usage. Will be curious to see how it actually turns out.

Their website for the 14 looks like it can send messages, and relay your location to contacts for check-in. Also comes with two years of free satellite communication usage. Will be curious to see how it actually turns out.
And how much that subscription will be.....

From their site I only see this being offered for emergency servicesAnnotation 2022-09-07 130831.png

Attachments

• Annotation 2022-09-07 130148.png
    Annotation 2022-09-07 130148.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Annotation 2022-09-07 130539.png
    Annotation 2022-09-07 130539.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Annotation 2022-09-07 130612.png
    Annotation 2022-09-07 130612.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
From their site I only see this being offered for emergency services
I’m not going to pitch the Garmin just yet. Can’t speculate beyond how one interprets the scant info out there. But, they’d be missing a nice market segment if they don’t eventually build in a text functionality.

Worth noting that Apple’s satellite contract appears to be with Globestar as opposed to Iridium. The latter is used by Garmin and Zoleo and have proven to provide robust coverage. The prior is used by Spot and has, eh, spottier coverage.

Hopefully it will drive down cost of inreach subscriptions.

iPhone 14 emergency sat. Takes an app to align to the satellite and allows a couple of predefined texts to be sent to emergency personnel with you location. One way communication.

I’m more interested to see how the TMobile Starlink will work.

Think the Tesla Pi is supposed to offer straight up satellite service for everything for 1200, supposed to be out in early 2023. Can charge by solar. Don't know if privacy is better

This article makes it sound a little more robust than just emergency SOS. I’m curious but also confused.

Think mine is a 10...I look for Apple to subtly message flip phone status if you don't purchase 'up'.

I'm avoiding any upgrades until compelled to. I get by just fine with this Galaxy I had to buy when all the 3G towers went the way of dinosaurs a couple of years ago. Otherwise I'd probably still be packing that old LG flip phone.

curious if anyone has upgraded to the 14 pro max from the 11 pro max... suddenly my 11 PM battery is absolute shit. Otherwise works fine, but it would be near worthless on a backcountry hunt.

How are you liking it @noharleyyet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back