Yeti GOBOX Collection

iPad Apps

There is an Orvis app. I don't have an ianything so I've never seen it.

I don't know of any apps for hunting and fishing other than games, but one app I use to find stuff is called 'free apps finder'. Very useful IMO.

There was a gps app my brother put on his for 7 bucks....totally blows any gps and map system away that I've seen away and had topo maps with it. I liked how it knows what direction the screan is pointing and flipps it in alignment with the terrain. Also, if you know the area that you are going to be hunting or fishing use google earth over the area. (Just zoom in and out and move a round a bit on google earth and save the cache) When you are in that area you won't even need internet to view it on google earth. You can track your movements or scan the terrain around you etc. I'll never buy an expensive gps unit when I can get an I pad (they have built in gps) with that app plus get all the other benifits of an I pad.

There was a gps app my brother put on his for 7 bucks....totally blows any gps and map system away that I've seen away and had topo maps with it. I liked how it knows what direction the screan is pointing and flipps it in alignment with the terrain. Also, if you know the area that you are going to be hunting or fishing use google earth over the area. (Just zoom in and out and move a round a bit on google earth and save the cache) When you are in that area you won't even need internet to view it on google earth. You can track your movements or scan the terrain around you etc. I'll never buy an expensive gps unit when I can get an I pad (they have built in gps) with that app plus get all the other benifits of an I pad.

So your going to carry an iPad out in the field? Lol

We already tried it in the field last year. It worked great! We even watch a movie in the tent at night.

I guess I would be too afraid to break my iPad, but I can see how nice it would be to have in the field.

You can add KMZ files (areas of interest, vegetation, ownership, tanks, etc) to an online Google Map, then link that map to your handheld Google maps and have all that stuff with you. Gives you more data by being able to import KMZ files.

I have been deadset against getting an ipad. But I may have to reconsider. How water resistant is the ipad? Can you get a waterproof cover for it? I heard yesterday that the new ipad would be out before long.

Okay that was funny.

Actually, a techy friend and I were talking about developing a simple hunting app or two. However, I haven't been able to come up with any great ideas.

Anything you guys would like to see in an app?

I think there should be an app where it powers off your electronics until your hunt is over.

Taking an iPad, computer etc hunting. That's the best joke I've heard this week

I think there should be an app where it powers off your electronics until your hunt is over.

Taking an iPad, computer etc hunting. That's the best joke I've heard this week

Uhh that is how you and everyone else on this site gets to read the hunts Randy goes on. He has a cool solar battery charger for the phones and computer and other things. I haven't seen him pack the lap top as we went out for the day but it's in the tent when we get back. Even on a remote hunt. Of course getting a connection in some of the places is never a certainty.

I can picture stumbling on to a guy holding his I pad wondering where the heck he is.:D but like I said if it gets you service and you're trying to post daily hunt accounts then it's not a bad option. Even watch some Seinfield episodes to pass the time till lights out.

Ipad and Xoom both have GPS. You only need cell service if you want topo and sat images to stream real time to the device. If you download topos to the device it will function just like any other GPS with maps. In addition, since they have both Google Earth and Google Maps, you have a multitude of other layer/data options.

Back