Caribou Gear Tarp

Iowa hunting Permission

streamer

I have 4 points for Iowa and my hunt partner in a trade hunt backed out on me after waiting 4 years. Is it possible to drive down to Iowa and knock on some doors and get permission to hunt from landowners, or is it all leased up like some states? Just wandering if its worth the 5 hour drive and a weekend to do this. Looking into some leases but they are getting out of reach for my budget, I only plan to go down 2 weekends maybe a 3rd to scout and hang cameras.

It is very possible to get permission. The only trouble I have knocking on doors is if they already granted permission to someone else. Depending on the unit you pick there could be alot of public land options as a back up plan. As far as public there is state land and also county land.

Are you bowhunting or gun?

Lots of public land there, real good map on the DNR site showing it all. If your archery hunting you will have plenty of options to hunt public land and do so alone and have a great hunt.

Really depends on the area you want to go to. Start there, where do you want to go? Leases are more common in southern IA. Bags of walleyes or other treats once they say yes can go a long ways. Central Iowa public land gets hammered pretty hard.

It is getting harder and harder and harder. Call me lazy but I don't even try any more for deer. What zone? Are you doing archery or shotgun?

If you are doing archery and in a zone I am familiar with I can point you in a few good directions. If you are doing shotgun or muzzle loader good luck. The shotgun seasons are chaotic here and I try to stay out of the woods. The late muzzy season can be fantastic IF you have food. Most public places don't have good food and they take a beating by the time the muzzy season starts.

Just from looking around Iowa seems to have more available leases and lower rates considering the quality of deer than similar states because one has to draw a tag so its not as valuable to out of state money looking to hunt somewhere year after year.

I remember the one of the Wired2Hunt guys said on a podcast he got permission on 2 of 15 or so farms he asked on, but I think he also had leads on where might be decent to ask.

Just knocking on doors is difficult because a lot of farms are owned by trusts these days so sometimes the hardest part is just finding the owner.

It used to be difficult to find spots to pheasant hunt 10 or so years ago and everyone would let you deer hunt. That has turned as Deer have become the new thing and pheasant are a second thought.

Note pheasant hunting should be steller this year in Iowa, compared to the last 5. We saw a lot of birds last year, easy winter and good conditions this spring. I saw 5 dead roosters on a work trip last week. I cant recall ever seeing that many before.

S. Iowa guy here

Hey, PM me ...I have a pretty good insight from living in the center of S. Iowa's deer country. Might even know of some good public honey holes....

I have 4 points for Iowa and my hunt partner in a trade hunt backed out on me after waiting 4 years. Is it possible to drive down to Iowa and knock on some doors and get permission to hunt from landowners, or is it all leased up like some states? Just wandering if its worth the 5 hour drive and a weekend to do this. Looking into some leases but they are getting out of reach for my budget, I only plan to go down 2 weekends maybe a 3rd to scout and hang cameras.

Just curious, what were you offering in return for the trade?

Back