Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Iowa Draw Results

Zim

Anyone else be hunting in Iowa this year? I'm happy I decided to burn my points on a zone 5 archery tag. Just got one other permit in my other draws. No overcrowded Illinois public land for me this year.

Do you have private land to hunt in zone 5 ?

I have hunted private in zone 5, private and public in zone 4 . I live and have hunted in zone 1 for 30 years, and just started going to southern IA and doing OYO hunts from the comfort of my 16' sleeper shack fish house parked wherever I can... I've really enjoyed the new challenges of southern IA even though I have only chosen to take one buck there with the .357 Ruger :)

Both areas are great, but just don't believe all the TV shows that make it look like there's a 150" buck behind every tree. I'd be glad to help in any way if I can.

Good huntn!

.357 ruger? What year did they start in on, and allowing rifle hunts? It was always bow, muzzle or slug growin up.

.357 ruger? What year did they start in on, and allowing rifle hunts? It was always bow, muzzle or slug growin up.

I would say.... about 10 years ago they started a special "pistol" season in January that eventually was expanded into the regular shotgun season. You can use a pistol in any shotgun season.

good luck to all
the dog

Correct, only certain calibers, and they may be used during the 2 shotgun(slug) seasons, and during the late muzzleloader season. Early ML season in Oct. you can also use a ML handgun, but not centerfire handguns. I carry my GP 100 as well as a TC during late muzzleloader season. Adds a fun new twist and challenge.

Good luck to Zim and any others headed for Iowa. I can't believe it's still over a month until Bow season opens and 2 months until the real fun begins - Rut!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back