Investment options

I've got quite a bit saved up. I'm probably dumb for not doing anything with it. I know I'm losing on inflation but then again I've never heard of anyone losing it all in a money market account.

I also have a money market online savings account, 1.75%, which is where I keep some emergency cash. Obviously it’s not gonna get you to retirement, but better than a regular bank savings account that pays nothing. Made about a grand from it last year, which I use for NR apps and a NR tag or 2.

I have some as well in an online account. When my wife was in medschool, I had to make 2 gigantic payments every year and basically had to have a pile of cash in a bank account that I could not risk to any degree.

To your point, I wasn't making the same kind of return that I was in my investment accounts... but it paid for my hunting applications every year.

Take a good hard look at real estate like homes for renting in college towns. Duplexes and townhouse are good deals if you can find one to rent out each room or to a family. Appreciation and monthly rent are good income and they are usually easy to sell when you want out. You can really capitalize if you can find one without using a real estate agent so you can avoid the commissions.

H

Take a good hard look at real estate like homes for renting in college towns. Duplexes and townhouse are good deals if you can find one to rent out each room or to a family. Appreciation and monthly rent are good income and they are usually easy to sell when you want out. You can really capitalize if you can find one without using a real estate agent so you can avoid the commissions. H

Agreed, that’s how my FIL made his nut. At least in ID, always use a GOOD realtor when buying, as the seller pays both sides commissions.

There is ABSOLUTELY a chance Tesla's stock won't make money over the next 5 years. Very few companies have such widely differing views on it as Tesla. Some swear it's going to zero. Others say it's going to 10,000. It is currently priced astronomically. Maybe an astronomic price is correct because of what the future holds but if we get a recession, look out below. Don't fall in love with a stock!
Since my first post to now, you would have already made +16%

And some people hold signs on the corner saying the world is coming to an end, but I typically ignore them.

Since my first post to now, you would have already made +16%

And some people hold signs on the corner saying the world is coming to an end, but I typically ignore them.

How about angry teenage swedish poster girls named Greta? ; )

Agreed, that’s how my FIL made his nut. At least in ID, always use a GOOD realtor when buying, as the seller pays both sides commissions.
Yes, the seller pays it, but if there is no commission to pay he will accept a lower offer. For example, we sold my dad's place for $600k, but had $36k in realtor fees so we only netted $564k. If no realtors were involved the buyer could have bought it for $582k and we both would have saved $18k.

Even this paid site recognizes the irony.....

North Texas 401K
1582148999004.png

10 months ago we had the proceeds to selling a house in NH while renting in WY, talked it over with our financial advisor since we had to "park" close to $400K. My conditions where simple:

1) High interest as possilbe
2) Instant access to it when I needed it
3) Can't lose it

Ended up splitting it between 2 savings accounts, one at 2% one at 2 1/8. Captial One was by far the easier to deal with, the other was Citibank. Both were on line savings, Citi was a pain in the butt to move money into, seed the account or get money out. They wouldn't link direclty to my bank for some reason. capitalOne was literally a few minutes to setup, all on line. Easy to transfer in/out of. After buying a house, we closed Citi and kept CapitialOne and it gets the "overlfow" from our savings (not really overflow, but gets to $x and we move some into CaptialOne where it sits)

You are a lucky man that you could save money in such hard times. Tell us, man, how you did it?! But if we speak about investment nowadays we have a lot of possibilities. You can start something to do online, on some webs 'cause now everyone is earning money like this. I also can share with you a site on this topic themoneymix.com. You can find there some ideas about passive income or how to invest money correctly. Maybe you can inspire yourself. I, for example, was shocked to see hat people give their own cars for rent and have a very good income. So maybe you can buy a new car and give it to rent hehe!

Last edited:
You are a lucky man that you could save money in such hard times. Tell us, man, how you did it?! But if we speak about investment nowadays we have a lot of possibilities. You can start something to do online, on some webs 'cause now everyone is earning money like this.
Did you join hunt talk just so you could bash my career choice?

It's all pretty well been answered by others. There aren't any good places to stick money today and get a decent rate of return without taking some risk. Savings, accounts, CD's, etc. pay nearly nothing, and I'm not a fan of the online accounts either, prefer to deal with my local brick & mortar bank.

If you're not carrying a bunch of debt and have fully funded retirement accounts, plenty of emergency savings, etc. you either pay off any debt, stick excess in a savings account and be content with minimal returns, or put the money at risk in an investment such as real estate, stock market, etc. as mentioned.

Isn't a darned thing wrong with just leaving it alone, sitting on your savings account.
Most folks would love to have this problem.

Honestly, living in 2021 and being objective of the present reality, I would say that the two best investment options have to be the cryptocurrency market and investing in property. Yeah, I know that these are two really different areas. The crypto market is a more progressive market compared to the property one. However, I still prefer investing in property out of these two, as it seems to be a more stable domain, at least that is my own opinion. I have been investing in property for the last couple of years using the services of this company https://www.capitalsquare1031.com/about-dsts-tab-style/ . They are really great, they have an incredibly great reputation, and a lot of experience on the market.

Last edited:
Honestly, living in 2021 and being objective of the present reality, I would say that the two best investment options have to be the cryptocurrency market and investing in property.
I am genuinely really curious what your next posts are going to be lol. I have some crypto, but it's not even close to the best investment out there.

Back