Investing: Outdoor Companies

tim629

Saw a thread about "Companies deserving my money" people were talking about companies to buy products from that support hunting and it got me thinking about investing.

When looking for new investments, I avoid any of the "socially responsible" funds that claim no-oil, no-guns, ect... I'm fine owning funds without those products but not looking to specifically exclude those products.

So the flip side: does anyone have any good stocks or funds that are going to be of more interest to those of us who enjoy the outdoors. figure if there is a fund that owns a few pro-outdoor companies it could be an interesting one to explore

I personally don't know of any mutual funds or ETFs that exclusively own "outdoor" companies but it could exist. You could certainly trade individual stock like: RGR, VFC, JOUT, PII, DKS and AOBC.

For me, I'll invest in the best companies to make the most money. I'm not going to risk my savings or retirement on a social project. I get that some people consider this socially irresponsible but the capitalist in me is greedy. I choose not to buy certain products or from certain companies for different reasons, but my investments are not part of that equation.

If I want to "invest" in outdoor companies I'll just use the superior gains to buy more hunting products :hump: I can also donate earnings to outdoor non-profits if I so choose.

Everybody wins!

Last edited:
For me, I'll invest in the best companies to make the most money. I'm not going to risk my savings or retirement on a social project.

. . .

I can also donate earnings to outdoor non-profits if I so choose.

Everybody wins!

Unless you have unlimited funds for retirement, do what grizzly_ says. Saving/growing retirement funds is hard enough to do without overlaying emotions.

I have often wondered if investing simply for highest returns actually enables short-sighted business practices that then could lead to the investor losing their current employment. I owned stock in an employer once and the dividend was nice, but ultimately the fact that they were paying the dividend was hollowing out the company's ability to invest in itself, and they were regularly laying off workers. I avoided that fate and left on my own terms, but if I were to simply grade my stock ownership on the dividend I would say it was great, but as I looked at the corporate leadership's way of running that business it was rather dangerous to my paycheck.

I would be interested in owning some stock in companies that I purchase products from, but at the same time, there are a lot of hunting companies that are privately/family owned. I think that is probably a wise choice on their parts as it keeps them from being the targets of social investors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back