Interstate access

----

Has anyone ever dealt with accessing public land from an interstate?

There's a chunk of public that barely touches the interstate, and I'm wondering what the legality is of parking in the borrow pit and hiking in?

I used to work for the Mont. Highway dept. From what I was told, it is illegal to have anything parked between the fences on the interstate unless doing work. This is a "clear zone" to protect the traveling public.

I have acceessed public land before from the interstate just as you have stated. Never have been bothered by anyone.

Last edited:
Idaho has signs posted every couple of miles on the freeway warning that stopping is for emergency purposes only. So I guess it depends on how sympathetic the state trooper is to hunting being an emergency stop if you get busted. :)

What the other said is the norm across the country. I've looked into it before and it's as mentioned in that most LE Agencies say they consider it a danger to have a vehicle parked anywhere along the road if it isn't an emergency situation.

Last edited:
I looked into it and emergency parking only seems to be the rule. Just have someone drop you off and pick you back up.

Giant whitetail not getting shot is an emergency right?

I did it in Wy for antelope...parked my car at the nearest off ramp (legal spot) and rode my bike in the ditch for +2 miles...worked great. Dragged my antelope up to the fence and got my car...loaded it up.

I-15 from the North Hill to the Sieben Interchange north of Helena borders a bunch of the Sieben Ranch property and during the rifle season there will be a dozen trucks parked to the side of the borrow pit up against the fence.

I've never seen anyone getting hassled and there are ALWAYS trucks parked along the interstate.

Not sure of the legalities, but it doesn't appear to get enforced on that section of I-15.

We have popular "climbing rock" on the way to Livingston that used to get people parking along the interstate. The parking spot was really wide and the cars weren't even close to the interstate but the state has now posted no parking signs and the climbers have to walk about a mile now from another legal spot.
I think the issue is having vehicles pulling on to the interstate without a real on-off ramp and secondly in this situation it is in a canyon area that is curvy making it more of a problem.

I would suggest the bike idea. The other trick is pull off and then pop the hood. Good disguise for a broken down vehicle :D Go do your business then when done slam the hood and leave. Not that I've ever tried said option.

I did it in Wy for antelope...parked my car at the nearest off ramp (legal spot) and rode my bike in the ditch for +2 miles...worked great. Dragged my antelope up to the fence and got my car...loaded it up.

If you did as you say, you violated the law even if you didn't get caught. Walking or biking on an Interstate ANYWHERE between the fences,unless it's an emergency, is against the law! Doing what others are doing doesn't make it right, but in at least one or two areas it sounds like so many people have taken the law into their own hands that LE can't keep up with the violations and chose to let it go. If there is an accident or death caused by what you guys are discussing, it could have some real nasty legal ramifications for the guilty party!

Last edited:
If you did as you say, you violated the law even if you didn't get caught. Walking or biking on an Interstate ANYWHERE between the fences,unless it's an emergency, is against the law! Doing what others are doing doesn't make it right, but in at least one or two areas it sounds like so many people have taken the law into their own hands that LE can't keep up with the violations and chose to let it go. If there is an accident or death caused by what you guys are discussing, it could have some real nasty legal ramifications for the guilty party!

I've got five bucks towards a lapdance for Topgun, anyone else want to pitch in?

Maybe I'll call the local highway patrol and get his opinion.

I've got five bucks towards a lapdance for Topgun, anyone else want to pitch in?

You have to see the Gambinis in action. I mean, these people, they love to argue. I mean, they live to argue.

Sorry that I tell it like it is! Show me one Interstate Highway anywhere in the US that legally allows you to stop and do anything other than if it's an emergency! They might not enforce the law in a certain area, but that doesn't mean the law is not there on the books if they wanted to. As far as the lap dance, go ahead and pony up as I might be 65, but I'm not dead yet!!!

Last edited:
Come to think of it I haven't seen bikers on an interstate. Didn't realize it was against the law. Scratch the bike idea then and the broken down car idea.

Maybe I'll call the local highway patrol and get his opinion.

I doubt the highway patrol will want to pitch in.

Even though topgun desperately needs that lap dance.

I doubt the highway patrol will want to pitch in.

Even though topgun desperately needs that lap dance.

It's worth the try.

If the HP says no go I'll tuck and roll if you'll drive me by.

Most major highways have signs that give a minimum speed to keep farm equipment and other slow moving traffic like small mopeds and bikes off of them for safety reasons. You might be able to get away with it by having someone drop you off before daylight and pick you up after dark since it wouldn't take long to do that and the risk might be minimal. Getting an animal out whole might be a little more time consuming, so you'd probably want to at least have it quartered or even boned out to speed up getting the heck out of Dodge before a Trooper came by. I've never tried it, but have thought of a number of spots where it might be able to be done to access thousands of acres :):hump:

Damn topgun make up your mind.First you go nuts over the thought of anyone doing it .Then you say you've been thinking of it.
I'll pitch in a 5 for the dance.Make sure she dresses like a cop though to start off
BTW, i'm just messin with you so don't take offense

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back