Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Interpret this wolf law

buglum

I'm wondering what everyone's interpretation of this rule is. As stated in the 2013 wolf regs, it states. " The possession of firearms with silencers while big game hunting is illegal".

I don't want to bring up the conflict of suppressors being good/bad. Bottom line is I knocked myself out last winter (literally) with my .338 Lapua with a brake. It scared the hell out of me and so now its suppressed.

My question with this rule is this: I have a wolf tag, I like to drive around and call coyotes and will bring my 338 Lapua. I never consider myself to go out and specifically "hunt" wolves, but I always have the tag in my pocket. So if a warden stops me and realizes that I have a wolf tag in my possession does that automatically put me into a bad position? If I am in a vehicle or hiking with the suppressed weapon and I have a wolf tag in my possession (vehicle or on self) am I automatically violating this rule? What makes this dicey to me is that if I am hiking with the Lapua I can unscrew the suppressor in a matter of seconds and shoot a wolf. So the suppressor would technically not be on the weapon, and therefore it is no longer a "firearm with a silencer"

I can see the technicalities, but I would really prefer to shoot coyotes with something a little more ear friendly, rather than destroying my hearing at a young age.

Last edited:
If I'm driving and am stopped, my response to a question regarding "hunting" is that I'm driving, not hunting. That does sometimes change when in WY hunting Antelope.
If your hunting yotes and would also shoot a Wolf if you saw it, I think you know the answer.

Last edited:
If your hunting yotes and would also shoot a Wolf if you saw it, I think you know the answer.

But it's not so straight forward, because if the rifle has the suppressor unscrewed and sitting in my back seat then I technically am not "in the possession of a firearm WITH a silencer."

Im not trying by any means to weasel around the law, I just would like to know if I can hunt coyotes with a supressed rifle and if the opportunity arises, unscrew the suppresser and shoot a wolf with the same weapon.

I guess it depends on the interpretation of hunting and when/if you went from Coyote hunting to Wolf hunting. And to that, I have yet to see a definition of "hunting" in any state regs.

If the suppressor is readily available and easy to install I'm pretty sure they would knock you for it.

I finally got Ben Lamb to wear ear protection this year... wish I could convince the rest of the world! I haven't shot an animal in a dozen years without ear protection. You could easily do it, especially if you are calling in animals... just make it part of the challenge of doing it right. Best of luck whatever you do.

If I remember correctly: The way I read the law it is illegal to hunt with a suppressor in Montana period.

"So the suppressor would technically not be on the weapon, and therefore it is no longer a "firearm with a silencer""

Are you attempting to BS me or are you trying to convince yourself? You may want to consider your dilema through the eyes of law enforcement.

If I remember correctly: The way I read the law it is illegal to hunt with a suppressor in Montana period.

Wrong, I've been told by two wardens that it is not illegal to hunt non-game animals with a suppressed weapon system. The rules are dicey here as well but their interpretation was that they would not prosecute anything suppressed out of season.

Lots of other rifle choices out there that would kill a wolf...

I agree but thats not the point. I would prefer to shoot a wolf with my Lapua because that is the rife that I practice with the most and have the most confidence, but if I can't use it because it has threads on the barrel for a suppressor then I would like to know that.

If in doubt, use a different rifle...simple.

Some people have a knack for making easy chit difficult.

If in doubt, use a different rifle...simple.

It's not simple because I don't want to use a different rifle. I realize I can but thats not what I'm looking for I want someone to tell me why I can't use a threaded Lapua...It's that simple

Answers to legal questions are one of many questions best not answered on an Internet forum.

Answers to legal questions are one of many questions best not answered on an Internet forum.

Problem I've had with suppressors and the "higher ups" is that I know as much as them on the issue. I am a legal owner of one and have read all the paper work through and through and yet every game warden I've talked to to says " uh suppressor, yeah you can't hunt with that" Well no sh$t, I realize that, but nobody can figure out what the legal definition reads. I've had wardens in region 4 tell me that they are fine on private and public land and I've had others in region 3 say that they are illegal for "anything hunting". So what the hell does that accomplish? I'm just as confused as the next guy.

Roll the dice and take your chances then with your knock-out special of a rifle that you have confidence in...be sure to have your attorney on speed-dial.

Read MCA 87-6-401 and see if that provides any clarification. Note it does not say "While hunting game animals..."

JMO, but your weapon should be legal for the tags in your pocket. Your rifle with the suppressor on isn't legal for big game hunting,taking it off only when a shot presents itself is still hunting with it on IMO. I bet you wouldn't considered waiting until a flock of Ducks had set their wings to put the plug in your shotgun"Making it legal''. Waiting until a Wolf shows before removing the suppressor would be basically the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back