Yeti GOBOX Collection

Interesting use of ESA

Didn't know grizzlies needed trails to travel to a ranch.

“Providing easier hunting access to the West Fork of the Stillwater raises another concern with the Donohoes. By increasing hunter access to the area, they argue, it “is reasonably certain to increase” hunter conflicts with grizzly bears harvest of our elk herd.”

Fixed it.

This guy does like predators. I’ve asked him if I can hunt wolves and he declined, hoping that they would eat some elk.

Another point not addressed in the article... the road is garbage and nobody wants to drag their horse trailer back there.

I wish the average guided hunter did enough research to boycott outfits that pull crap like this. Much like the sheep guide in the Breaks that also runs domestic sheep on the same lands the bighorns use, creating a situation ripe for disease transmission.

I think that was the point of the article. They are going to do improvements on the road.
No, they are looking to open up a trail on a different old abandoned road to non motorized use that gives additional access to the West Fork Trail.

Last edited:
I think that was the point of the article. They are going to do improvements on the road.

I can understand how an article like this, without a map, would not paint a clear picture for people unfamiliar with the area.

The road to get to the W fk/Initial creek trailheads is a disaster.
It did get graded this year because there is exploratory surface drilling into the reef going on through the end of the year, so it’s temporarily a little better than it had been in years past, but it needs major work. Until that happens, people will not take their stock trailers back there on a regular basis.
Stillwater Mining does a great job maintaining their portion through the mine site, but once you get past them, it is bad.

Currently people are riding from the Stillwater trailhead to get to the lake plateau.

First stage was a one mile reroute. Latest proposal is opening up a second 3 mile route to same trail. Can't say if this will improve access or not. Gomer probably knows answer to this.
Edit:
I see Gomer was typing and answered while I was typing.

The road to get to the W fk/Initial creek trailheads is a disaster.
Agree. That road and many others in the various drainages. They took a lot of traffic this year. I would guess it gets regraded. Maybe some of those GAOA funds will be directed that way.

I looked at some maps and getting in to Picket Pin road from Nye is more direct, and if it is in equal or better condition than FR2846, the new trail project makes sense to me, and hope it goes forward.

@MTGomer is right, the West Fork road is pretty gnarly at the best of times, and it’s downright scary anytime there’s snow on the road. @JLS is correct that the Donohoes are only worried about their pet elk herd that lives year round on Horseman Flats and is 99% inaccessible to the public.

In case people were lazy and didn't want to read it.

To summarize:
"The lawsuit highlights... and how the family is using the ESA — an act meant to save animals — as a way to protect their private interests."

Reactions: JEL
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back