Interesting opening morning

If I see another hunter (or fisherman) I make it a point to go talk with him and coordinate if necessary, otherwise both parties spend all their worries wondering where the other person is. I've been in a few situations where it was obvious I was going to the same place as the other person. Talking to them and making a plan has always diffused the situation.

Public land, public animals.

I have been in this situation and handled it totally different. I got the other hunters' attention and made contact with them. We worked together and four of us killed cow elk. I was in position on the elk and could have easily shot one and been done. The other Hunters, Including a teenager, would have never had a chance if I had done so. I am still friends with them today.

Most of the time it is better to try to work with them. There are some situations where they can be absolute jerks and then all bets are off and it is every man for them selves.

You have got to be kidding! Those guys saw us after the elk and absolutely were trying to ruin our hunt. We were half way to the elk when they left their 4-wheeler (yes, they had ridden the machine a half mile closer and we had already walked it). It will be a cold day when I cooperate with somebody with that mentality. They were way too far away to communicate with and the communications would not have been good anyway. That is the first time that I ever encountered anyone that was just blatantly being an ass. I was absolutely appalled, when we figured out what they were doing.

As I stated, last year I had a blast hunting with other people that I encountered in the field and it was as it should be. Courtesy seems to be a lost word on some people.

Thought I would chime in on this one as well. I agree with both sides of the coin on this one. You have to try and work together but not everyone will be respectful in the field. After an initial conversation if someone isn’t going to be respectful I don’t think it is worth our effort to try to accommodate them but rather move on. I personally don’t like hunting in an area where I know there are folks who are not respectful of other hunters’ space. Biggest thing for me is safety and I don’t trust someone’s thoughts on safety if they are trying to rush in front of another hunter (they tend to carry around firearms, which personally, I don’t ever want to be on the receiving end of but that’s just me. Ha!)

I have hunted with my wife’s family on public land for 10 years now (I didn’t grow up hunting big game). They have an area the family has hunted for 30-40 years. Several years back they showed another local the family honey hole on National Forest land. This has come back to haunt us as this other local now all of a sudden has “friends” from out of state who he brings into this honey hole. The race will be on Saturday morning for who gets there first with the runner up moving on to secondary areas. They usually respect the area if we get there first and likewise we respect their initiative if they get there first.

However, two years ago we won the race and had 4 elk down on opening morning with the pack out continuing to the second day. We notified them we had elk down to retrieve but they still raced in there the second morning and set up to hunt. We let them know for the second time that we would be retrieving elk and just to be safe would make as much noise as possible so that they didn’t mistake us for elk. That sort of attitude ruffled our feathers a little bit. They have even tried to go in a few days ahead of the season and park a dirt bike or ATV at the beginning of the trail to make it look like they arrived before us. Every time we run into them during the season they complain about how crowded it is. We try to politely remind them it wouldn’t be so crowded if they weren’t there. We always wish we could do something about this guys “friends” as we believe he is receiving payment for guiding but is not licensed to guide on Forest Service land. We don’t have any proof so we don’t think we can do anything about that except to wake up early and try to hoof it in before they roll out of bed. The moment I don’t feel safe with them in the area I will not be returning there and that is all we can do.

Thought I would chime in on this one as well. I agree with both sides of the coin on this one. You have to try and work together but not everyone will be respectful in the field. After an initial conversation if someone isn’t going to be respectful I don’t think it is worth our effort to try to accommodate them but rather move on. I personally don’t like hunting in an area where I know there are folks who are not respectful of other hunters’ space. Biggest thing for me is safety and I don’t trust someone’s thoughts on safety if they are trying to rush in front of another hunter (they tend to carry around firearms, which personally, I don’t ever want to be on the receiving end of but that’s just me. Ha!)

I have hunted with my wife’s family on public land for 10 years now (I didn’t grow up hunting big game). They have an area the family has hunted for 30-40 years. Several years back they showed another local the family honey hole on National Forest land. This has come back to haunt us as this other local now all of a sudden has “friends” from out of state who he brings into this honey hole. The race will be on Saturday morning for who gets there first with the runner up moving on to secondary areas. They usually respect the area if we get there first and likewise we respect their initiative if they get there first.

However, two years ago we won the race and had 4 elk down on opening morning with the pack out continuing to the second day. We notified them we had elk down to retrieve but they still raced in there the second morning and set up to hunt. We let them know for the second time that we would be retrieving elk and just to be safe would make as much noise as possible so that they didn’t mistake us for elk. That sort of attitude ruffled our feathers a little bit. They have even tried to go in a few days ahead of the season and park a dirt bike or ATV at the beginning of the trail to make it look like they arrived before us. Every time we run into them during the season they complain about how crowded it is. We try to politely remind them it wouldn’t be so crowded if they weren’t there. We always wish we could do something about this guys “friends” as we believe he is receiving payment for guiding but is not licensed to guide on Forest Service land. We don’t have any proof so we don’t think we can do anything about that except to wake up early and try to hoof it in before they roll out of bed. The moment I don’t feel safe with them in the area I will not be returning there and that is all we can do.

That is a story that plays out all too frequently, I am afraid. Because it is public, there is very little that can be done, but it sure does not do any favors for the outlook on humanity when people act like complete idiots. It kind of messes up what hunting is suppose to be about.

You have got to be kidding! Those guys saw us after the elk and absolutely were trying to ruin our hunt. We were half way to the elk when they left their 4-wheeler (yes, they had ridden the machine a half mile closer and we had already walked it). It will be a cold day when I cooperate with somebody with that mentality. They were way too far away to communicate with and the communications would not have been good anyway. That is the first time that I ever encountered anyone that was just blatantly being an ass. I was absolutely appalled, when we figured out what they were doing.

As I stated, last year I had a blast hunting with other people that I encountered in the field and it was as it should be. Courtesy seems to be a lost word on some people.

There are some situations where they can be absolute jerks and then all bets are off and it is every man for them selves.

^^^^^

As long as you are comfortable with how you handled the situation, thats all that matters and all you can control.

Dealing with only one other hunter would be a dream come true for me.Never understood how guys from out west think its crowded hunting if you run into 2-3 people in a day,and even that's rare.In Pa, its not uncommon to see 20 other guys in a days hunt and some will sit within 100 yards of you.And,that happens ALOT.One of the reasons I enjoy hunting out west and don't hunt my home state much anymore
When I run into guys out west,I tell them my plans or ask for theirs so I can avoid them.Never had a problem yet out west.So much land to hunt,if some other group is already there,I would just go to plan B.Or work in the opposite direction.I've had words with guys here in Pa;mostly in spring turkey when they run into any gobble they hear.Never made the day enjoyable and I want to enjoy my day hunting.Easy just to find another spot for the day

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back