Interesting Find

My wife shot this whitetail a while back. It has about 2-3" of antler broke off in the tear duct-

20171218_205303.jpg

Yes indeed, a very cool thread. That's crazy- I've never heard of an antler lodged into a skull. But according to this thread, it happens quite often. And the tooth in the elk's head is amazing.

Very cool thread!

Killed this pig a few years ago. When I rolled him up on his side I noticed the gaping hole bigger than my fist full of flies and maggots in his chest cavity. Shot was in "no man's land" on him. Drug him off and left him for the buzzards because of the nasty wound. After the picture I noticed the second hole a little lower and to the left.
When talking with landowner he had shot the pig with his 300mag a week earlier, I assume that's the shot in no man's land. A few days later the adjacent land owner said he shot one with his 270, presumably the second hole. This pig had also been caught, barred, and had his ears cut at some point in his life. He had a will to live for sure.

When I found him he was rooting a pasture and couldn't tell anything was wrong with him. Been shot twice with high powered rifles and he hit the ground like a ton of bricks with a #4 steel shot at 35yds on the run. Placement is key for any shot or injury.

Attachments

• hog kill.jpg
    hog kill.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 423
My 2016 Blacktail had a old bullet hole through his ear that was healed up from a previous rifle season , also in 2016 my friend John killed a nice 5x5 Roosevelt Bull , and when where skining it back at the shop found some bow hunters broadhead laying perfectly against one of his rib bones from a preavious archey season , Elk are so tuff IMG_6824.jpg

The broad head we found in johns bull
IMG_6825.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot_2017-12-17-10-43-43.jpg
Just got this whitetail this weekend. I had an either sex tag for muzzle loader season. Filled it with this nice doe. Or so I thought. The doe was a buck that dropped its antlers due to stress caused by this wound. A shot from a rifle that had almost completely healed. (the large slice is from me letting the air out of the lungs.) The shot traveled from his shoulder to the hip bone just under the skin. I bet it felt like lightning hitting. Animals are tough buggers.

Last edited:
5 years ago my wife shot a decent 6 point bull and when quartering him out I found a baseball size chunk of scar tissue wrapped around a mechanical broadhead and 3" of the shaft high up on the shoulder/neck from a previous season plus he had been shot in the ass and one quarter was bad. probably should have tossed the whole back half. Found buckshot in the breast of a turkey this fall that I got with a rifle. Around SW Wyoming I have heard tons of stories this fall of people finding broadheads in the arm pit of elk, seems people are starting to think brisket shots are a sure thing these days

My moose had a previous skull injury that had rehealed. I'm guessing he got roughed up pretty good at some point by another bull, given the shape of the injury.

38502649154_1f41550f40_b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
My bull from this year had a hole in his skull just beside his right eye socket. You can't see the full extent of it in this picture but you can compare the right to left side and see the hole just to the right of his right eye socket.

21558018_10155616166025539_5823746776870790380_n (1).jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back