Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Insulated boots or just carry warmer socks?

I am kind of a weeny, so wear my insulated boots even when most others are wearing un-insulated. My feet don't sweat much though so that becomes a non-issue for me.

For insulated, for the last 6-8 years I have worn the Cabela's Outfitter Series 1000 gram, which is way too much for most people, but they keep me happy.

For warmer days, and general off-trail hiking and scrambling I wear the Salomon Quest 4d, and they are really nice. I have about 3 or 4 years on them now, and a maybe a hundred miles.

I am super picky about my boots and socks when I have to walk or hike any distance in them. I have never found insulated boots that fit the way I like and that I can tolerate wearing more than a few miles. We are heading to southeastern Montana in November and the weather is potentially going to be much colder and snowier than I usually hunt in. It's been over a decade since I last bought insulated boots so maybe they've improved dramatically.
I usually hunt in mid October with high temperatures in the 50's and lows in the high 20's. Every few years we hunt in November and rarely get much snow. The coldest November temps get to -5 but that's rare and usually it warms up into the 20's on the coldest days.

Here are my thoughts on this. Comfortable fit in boots when humping miles is critical. That includes not too loose or too tight in the toe area, as that slows circulation and contributes to cold feet. How does one fit their boots to that lightweight or medium sock properly then take up space with heavy socks and not constrict circulation?
I take several pairs of boots with me on my hunts from lightweight ankle high hikers, light weight, mid weight boots, light pacs and heavy pacs with removable liners.
Montana weather in the mountains is unpredictable at best like many Western States. I leave my heavy pacs at home for September archery but they travel with me late October on.
If you are traveling to SW Montana do yourself a favor and swing by Schnee's Boots in Bozeman http://www.schnees.com/ . Check out their leather upper pacs along with an extra pair of inserts. The high ones are the most popular up here with many of the outfitters, especially in the backcountry. Kenetrek Boots might look very similar for a good reason. In fact I seldom see an outfitter or guide in town wearing anything but Schnee or Kenetrek boots come November.
My feet aren't the same size. They custom fit each boot. I just dropped them off last month after years of service and had new bottoms sewn on. Yeah, I love them and can't wait for the opportunity to wear them this season. By far the most comfortable boots I own. Be sure to get the air bob soles if you buy.They have good support for side hilling built in too.

400 gram works for me in November, and usually into December. It can get cold and even with good wool socks. Usually have a pair of lightweight non-insulated for Sept. & Oct. going into the more insulated later. Been a fan of Danners, just fit right for me, and have different boots for the weather conditions.

If it gets below 0, I would definitely go with insulated boots, which can happen in November Montana, don't want cold feet. Thick socks can only go so far! Clean and snow proof.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back