Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Initiative Petition 13 (IP13) aims for the 2022 ballot

belshawelk

All Oregonians:

Please be aware of the this measure coming up. It is disguised as a animal cruelty bill. Please read the bill. Here is an excerpt form the first line:

DRAFT BALLOT TITLEProhibits injuring or killing animals, most breeding practices; self-defense exceptions. Redefines animal abuse crimesResult of “Yes” Vote:“Yes” vote prohibits intentional injuring/ killing of animals, including farming, hunting, fishing, research/ teaching; self-defense exception. Redefines animal crimes, criminalizes most breeding practices

Please help support those like OHA and others fighting to stop this. Its seems farfetched that they could ever vote to stop hunting and fishing, but its not.

Thanks for posting this @belshawelk
This bill is a joke but it’s yet another attempt at broad brush painting by animal rights groups, something that isn’t going to stop anytime soon!

IP-13 is an initiative petition that even attacks the livestock industry (let alone hunters) and goes as far as to classify artificial insemination and other practices as “sexual assault” of an animal and bans the slaughter of animals for human consumption!

Here’s a little more info if interested:

While it’s frustrating and certainly a concern that silly ideas like this get as much attention as they do, this initiative has about as much chance of passing as an initiative that mandates all Oregonians get a face tattoo. A tiny, vocal minority would like to see it happen, but anyone with more than a single brain cell knocking around in their head can see the insanity for what it is.

I have some questions about page 4 and some of the claims I'm seeing published.

Section 7 refers you back to section 2, but not section 3. So I think we need a lawyer to look this over, because as I read it - it causes me great concern about being poorly defined enough to actually catch hunting, angling and agriculture in it's web. I generally look at opposition rhetoric with a jaded eye as well, but in this instance, I'm not sure they're wrong in their analysis.

Good to hear it doesn't stand a chance of passing, but this thing is bad on so many levels that it needs to be put down in the ground ASAP.

@belshawelk and links to groups that folks can donate to or volunteer for to help out?

@belshawelk and links to groups that folks can donate to or volunteer for to help out?

OHA is very active with the legislature and is a damn good organization.

Section 7 refers you back to section 2, but not section 3. So I think we need a lawyer to look this over, because as I read it - it causes me great concern about being poorly defined enough to actually catch hunting, angling and agriculture in it's web. I generally look at opposition rhetoric with a jaded eye as well, but in this instance, I'm not sure they're wrong in their analysis.

Good to hear it doesn't stand a chance of passing, but this thing is bad on so many levels that it needs to be put down in the ground ASAP.

Thanks Ben. I'm opposed to it regardless of the exceptions, but I'd like to have all my facts straight before I go sit at the hippie co-op adjacent to the signature collectors.

OHA is very active with the legislature and is a damn good organization.

I think the OHA newsletter mentioned this. Haven't had a chance to read it, but I'm sure our lobbyists is working on it.

Yes Oregon Hunters Association. I am sure before long cattle and livestock will also have a fundraiser.

While it’s frustrating and certainly a concern that silly ideas like this get as much attention as they do, this initiative has about as much chance of passing as an initiative that mandates all Oregonians get a face tattoo. A tiny, vocal minority would like to see it happen, but anyone with more than a single brain cell knocking around in their head can see the insanity for what it is.
Alright well, I think my dismissiveness earlier was premature. Reading about it a couple weeks ago, it just seemed unbelievably far fetched. But after talking with a couple people with OHA at the state level, there’s some real cause for concern.

Been reading around and there are some claims that the italics in the text signify passages that are to be removed. If that is the case then it's a nightmare. I have emails out to the SOS, the petitioners, and the OHA lobbyist about the italics/ bold convention.

Been reading around and there are some claims that the italics in the text signify passages that are to be removed. If that is the case then it's a nightmare. I have emails out to the SOS, the petitioners, and the OHA lobbyist about the italics/ bold convention.
Just got back an email from the SOS office. You can actually comment on the draft ballot title until June 4th. The title is highly misleading—I mean, who supports animal cruelty? But if we’re interpreting it correctly, this measure would use the guise of banning animal cruelty to also ban all hunting, fishing, and trapping, as well as any kind of livestock production.

Those who want to help, please submit comments.

http://egov.sos.state.or.us/elec/web_irr_search.record_detail?p_reference=20220013..LSCYYY13

Email comments to:
[email protected]

Thanks @belshawelk for bringing this up. I had no idea how real it was.

Last edited:
Brain cells are in short supply these days.

Only needs 112,000 signatures to make the 2022 ballot. Probably enough people living in tents in downtown Portland to come close.

I just hope this bonehead initiative does start setting a precedent for other states.

Only needs 112,000 signatures to make the 2022 ballot. Probably enough people living in tents in downtown Portland to come close.

I just hope this bonehead initiative does start setting a precedent for other states.
I really don't think it has a chance. Messing with hunters is one thing. Messing with fisherman is one thing. Messing with cattle, dairy and horse farmers, hay growers, chicken and pig farmers is a whole different kinda fight. Let alone all the feed stores that sell all the supplies to the farmers.

Ballot initiatives concerning wildlife are bad. So who is in charge of identifying cruelty ?
Initiatives like this are like one grain of sand on the scale. The anti groups have lots of money to pay folks to collect signatures. And most the signature collectors say anything they want truth doesn't matter.
Look at cigarette laws.
Too many folks seem to feel that if it doesn't effect them directly it doesn't matter.
More government is not the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back