MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Info on Backpacking Tipi

Grizzley

I have read some of the threads on tents/tipis posted here...what I am looking for is a packable tent/tipi that has standing room like a Kifaru Tipi and portable stove capacity without the $1500 price tag. I have been reading on another site that the Shangri-La 4 or 5can be converted for stove use. What are you using...and what do you recommend. Thanks!

I spent a few nights out with the OYOA crew and was impressed with Randy's setup. Packed down to the size of a table napkin, weighed less than 4 pounds, yet still managed to include some nice amenities. :D
teepee_perfectearthtours_2.jpg

Sorry, I got nuthin for ya. Maybe somebody around here does.

the Kifaru Tipi is a little spendy but I have yet to regret buying mine, with Kifaru gear you get what you pay for. I have slept in mine when we had 40 to 50 mph winds and rianing like hell and it never let me down.

I agree with Mule Crazy.If you get any kind of bad weather you wont regret buying a Kifaru tipi,you just cant beat it
Tim

Spitz,

I have a hard time beleiving Big Fin lived in such squallor on your hunt together. He must have really be roughing it!

I couldn't believe last Sept. when he pulled in to our AZ elk camp in this rig.

1123%20em%20curbside[1].jpg

This is how BF rolls. A pic of the inside! It took talent getting that thing down the rough forest service road we were camped on, but he managed.

1146%20em%20in%20std%20pro[1].jpg

Grizzley,

I second Muley Crazy and Tim's statements. Kifaru's are hard to beat and mine stood up to some phenomonel winds last time we were in AK caribou hunting. Make sure to get the tipi liner though. It sucks without one in a damp environment!!!

Last edited:
I have read some of the threads on tents/tipis posted here...what I am looking for is a packable tent/tipi that has standing room like a Kifaru Tipi and portable stove capacity without the $1500 price tag. I have been reading on another site that the Shangri-La 4 or 5can be converted for stove use. What are you using...and what do you recommend. Thanks!

I've got a Hex (shangra la 3). Its nice. Held up to Kodiak last fall. The center pole thing takes some getting used to.

I would consider Go Lite models (4 or 5) for Value. Then just call Titanium Goat, and order the stove jack and stove. Have someone who knows what they are doing sew in the stove jack. You may have to shop around because a lot of businesses won't do it because the go lite fabric isn't fire resistant. One of those little asian "alterations" places is usually your best shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back