Caribou Gear

Shelter comparison-opinions?

CabinFever

I'm curious what you guys think about tarp/tipi style floorless shelters vs a good 4 season tent. For those that use either or have used both, what did you settle on and why? I'm mainly comparing Seek Outside's Lil Bug Out vs a Hilleberg Nallo, possibly Hilleberg Anjan.

I'm intrigued by the LBO because of the weight and overall versatility, there seems to be endless options.

A good 4 season, double walled tent would be nice for moisture management, possibly warmer??, better in high winds, and of course fully enclosed with a floor. Seems like it'd be more comfortable.

Anyone use any of these or have something else they recommend? Or just comparisons of full tents vs floorless shelters?

And yes weight matters, it will be used for backpacking.

Mostly this purchase is going to be a late season October through April option for me, I already have a couple of warm weather shelters I'm happy with.

IMO floorless shelters really shine, for that time of year, if you are using a stove. Was that in your plan? If not, I think either of the Hillebergs would be fine. I'd pick the lightest in the size I needed. Heck, I've waited out some pretty nasty weather in cheap(er) dome tents.

For remote hunts in the cold, I love my Kifaru Paratipi with the small stove. I can dry things out in a hurry.

I see no reason to go floorless unless you have a wood burner inside.

I just broke in a Seekoutside 6 man in the snow in MT. I think there are lots of puts and takes from both and you really can't go wrong with either, but having a stove, heat and ability to dry stuff off puts the 6 man over the top for me.

I was able to roll over in the morning, fire up the stove and warm my boots and tent before I crawled out and took a piss.

1375967_10201040763676001_499198424_n.jpg

Glowing stove makes J.R. a warm and happy boy.
1381775_10201041715579798_1022466643_n.jpg

If I went floorless, I would eventually look at stoves. What size of stoves do you guys have, and what are you getting for burn time? I have a little bit of a hard time imagining taking much time out of a day of hunting to gather much wood...

I use the Kifaru Small stove. It's excellent for backpacking.

It's such a small firebox that you have to feed it every 5-10 minutes. If you wait until you feel a big temperature drop, you've waited too long. It's a high maintenance thing.

At bed I try to stuff the box full of wood and damper down, it'll heat for an hour or so.

When it's wet and cold, nothing is better than sitting in the tent at night and get everything toasty and dry.

At temps that were in the low teens and a stiff wind, it'll heat my paratipi to 90+ degrees easily.

HIlleberg Akto is a great option for weight and 4 season protection. It is a great one person tent with a good vestibule for gear. It will ride out just about any storm out there. For heavy snow, you may be bumping it off in the night, but for the weight (under 4 lbs) it is a great option.
If you are going floorless and no stove, take a look at Mountain Laurel Designs' Duomid. Spacious and light (just over a pound), and can handle some serious weather. I have a GoLite tarp-tent that is very similar in design, and it works well. I use a 3' x 7' piece of Polycro for my groundsheet to keep my sleeping bag and pad clean and dry. The other side is just bare ground, which allows me to come in with my boots on, arrange gear, change, etc. It is tall enough in the inside to sit up in, and move around pretty well. For all of bow season, this is my first choice. If the weather has snow predicted, or I will be up high/timberline, the Hilleberg is going with me.

Those that use tipis with stoves obviously have it figured out -- nothing like fire! For T Bone, would you go with a medium stove knowing what you do now about the stoking involved and shorter burn time of the small stove? Is the weight difference worth it if you are packing in any great distance? I am thinking of many mornings during rifle season, and how being in my tent or tarp shelter without some serious heat source would be a miserable start to the day...

For 1 and 2 man applications, I'd stick with Kifaru's small stove.
The only reason to go to a larger box would be for 6-8 man shelters.

Disclaimer: There may well be better stoves out there. I havn't looked for 10 years now since buying my Paratipi and Small stove combo.

The only time I don't like floorless is when there are lots of bugs and/or mice. I packed into a semi-remote area in NW South Dakota and there were mice running across my face multiple times over the long November night. Didn't care for that.

For 1 and 2 man applications, I'd stick with Kifaru's small stove.
The only reason to go to a larger box would be for 6-8 man shelters.

Disclaimer: There may well be better stoves out there. I havn't looked for 10 years now since buying my Paratipi and Small stove combo.

The only time I don't like floorless is when there are lots of bugs and/or mice. I packed into a semi-remote area in NW South Dakota and there were mice running across my face multiple times over the long November night. Didn't care for that.
The bolded part would have had me screaming like a girl and I'd have been out of ammo before morning! :D

In regards to that, seekoutside has a 1/2 tent/nest thing that can be incorporated into their shelters that would prevent the mouse/bug issues. I think this would be a worthy addition if one regularly encounters that type of scenario.

HIlleberg Akto is a great option for weight and 4 season protection. It is a great one person tent with a good vestibule for gear. It will ride out just about any storm out there. For heavy snow, you may be bumping it off in the night, but for the weight (under 4 lbs) it is a great option.
If you are going floorless and no stove, take a look at Mountain Laurel Designs' Duomid. Spacious and light (just over a pound), and can handle some serious weather. I have a GoLite tarp-tent that is very similar in design, and it works well. I use a 3' x 7' piece of Polycro for my groundsheet to keep my sleeping bag and pad clean and dry. The other side is just bare ground, which allows me to come in with my boots on, arrange gear, change, etc. It is tall enough in the inside to sit up in, and move around pretty well. For all of bow season, this is my first choice. If the weather has snow predicted, or I will be up high/timberline, the Hilleberg is going with me.

I have considered the Akto plenty, but am thinking that I'll want more room for real cold weather outings, and for just over a pound more a Nallo 2 offers substabtial space. The MLD Duo would also be a great option, but I already have a GoLite SL 1, and for a larger floorless shelter I'd want it stove compatible. Some good points though.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying a few new shelters to try out this winter...:D

Back