Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Influenced

No lol. I'm just saying I haven't heard of an outdoor brand that doesn't have or had issues. You make enough products your bound for some unique quality control issues. I just wouldn't say Crispi is POS and Keen is Perfect. I was just poking fun lol
I remember watching a few born and raised outdoor videos and those guys talking about how awesome their crispi boots were. My expectations were high. I don’t mind them if they didn’t leak. I will wear them out….on dry days lol

I remember watching a few born and raised outdoor videos and those guys talking about how awesome their crispi boots were. My expectations were high. I don’t mind them if they didn’t leak. I will wear them out….on dry days lol
Ya seems like Crispi was pushing hard. Born and Raised and Hushin crews were both pushing them hard. Then Hanwag come out of the blue and now there pushing them. I'm sure money played a factor as with everything.

A couple years ago I bought a pair of camo Rocky boots on sale at Havre Big R's. They didn't last three days before both boots blew out on the sides. Fortunately, I still hadn't thrown out the box. Returned them an manager's only comment was, "Well, those are crap!" And she pulled the whole lot off the shelves. She let me have a slightly more expensive pair of Georgia Boot hikers ($130) and those are by far the best thing I've ever put on my feet! Unbelievably comfortable. Unfortunately, the soles seemed to wear out quicker than usual. I still may buy another pair. And they never did leak. Outside of my Mucks, I think that's a first. Goretex "waterproof" leather boots rarely last through a season without springing leaks. Like Goretex anything.

I am so not a gear guy. Me about me> I think my style of hunting or at least the mental approach so mirrors the Billy Molls in his videos he is certainly not an influencer of gear but he is for the lord. Now when I was a young guy 35 years ago I loved the Dan Fitzgerald & Bob Foulkrod videos but that was a lifetime ago. Heck I can't watch Fitzgerald today. Many of the Influencers are destroying hunting and redirecting the young guys focus from what what hunting is really about. Click and gear pimps

I found as soon as I said anything about how good a certain product was, it immediately let me down or failed. It was like a curse...

I was influenced by the Bowmars to start hunting over bait, Muley Freak Eric taught me how to trespass to get the big muleys, Eric from Hushin showed me how awesome the rat-tail mullet is for hunting, and I now cry upon taking a game animal. Thanks BRO dudes for that one! I have definitely been influenced!
I always thought you would be and interesting guy to meet. Next time I see someone sporting a Hush flat brim I will say hi.

I suppose when someone is starting from scratch without a mentor and in a hurry, chasing the influencers is the way to go. What alternative do they have? Right now I'm toying with the idea of building my own DGR (dangerous game rifle). Mauser is the preferred choice. Yeah, it's been done (quite frequently in fact) but I'm finding the build is more complicated than I thought. Since our local gunsmiths are either retired or dead, I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants as I explore this. And the exploration has been an adventure. For starters, unlike Springfield '03 or Enfield P14/1917, a Mauser is not just a Mauser. There's lots of different variations. And what calibers can be made to work with which variation can be a sticky wicket. The internet has been mostly my only source of information. It's great because 1) there's a ton of different experiences to resource and 2) NONE OF THE AUTHORS ARE TRYING TO SELL MAUSERS OR MAUSER BUILDS OR EVEN THEIR KNOWLEDGE. For that reason I think it's a stretch to call them influencers. How did I even get the idea to build a DGR in the first place? The outfitters and PHs I've worked with in Africa all used new factory guns (almost exclusively CZ). I still have yet to read any of the classic Africa hunting literature written during Mausers heyday (Horn of the Hunter, Death In the Long Grass, etc). I have seen a few Africa hunting videos where clients or PHs used Mausers. Maybe that's where I got the idea but I really don't know. Can't say that I recall seeing any video sponsored by one of the modern Mauser gunmakers (e.g. Westley Richards or Mauser). So, I would have to say this decision was more or less inate and not influenced by any commercially backed "influencer."

The fitness influencers really got me. I started drinking light beer and smoking filtered cigarettes to stay in shape.

#keephammering
yeah but who's vitamins are you taking Hulk Hogans or one of the flat brim dudes? Better yet> who's coffee?

yeah but who's vitamins are you taking Hulk Hogans or one of the flat brim dudes? Better yet> who's coffee?

Store brand dark rot guy coffee and I get my vitamins from the well water I drink.

I only use MTN ops brotien and pre workout though. Pre workout comes in handy when you been drinking all day and need that little boost to keep partying. 🤣

I think with some things, I have absolutely been influenced by the "brands". Mostly due to me being in the market at the time. I still use my combat boots cause they are great. The Kifaru pack I have was frankly due to me being in the market for a good pack and that being the hot topic at the time. That and I had some friends with them and they were very happy with them.

Clothes, eh idk I just have stuff that looks like camo and call it a day. I have vortex binos cause they were popular at the time and I was in the market. I also havent broken them yet so no need to change. For sure influencers were part of that as it was the hot item on the shelf at the time and vortex had a big marketing budget that year.

Be lying if I said influencers dont have some weight in that decision as its often the thing that pops into your head when your considering something. Example: freakin dog chewed up the binos. Oh i saw there was a sale on XXX Brand ill go check those out. Social media influencers have frankly taken the place of a infomercial.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back