Increasing Kayak’s Weight Capacity

FairWeather

Anyone have any ideas for/experience with increasing a kayak’s weight carrying capacity?

I have a lifetime payette 98, and it has a weight capacity of 250lbs. I’m weighing in around 225-230 most days. I plan to use it for fishing and maybe hunting ducks on some nearby lakes and ponds. Not planning to bring a lot of gear, but more than nothing. I’ve read that your should try not to exceed 80% of a kayak’s capacity, which is 200lbs. I’d like to increase the boat’s cap, if I can, by about 50lbs.

I’ve seen these “airbags” that seem to achieve this, but they’re not cheap by any means. About $120 to get ones for both the bow and stern. I got the kayak for $40, so I’m not worried about it looks, and bubba solutions aren’t off limits.

Some thoughts I’ve had are to get some kickballs, or similar, and deflate them a bit, stuff into the hill, and inflate to the point where they’ll hold. Another idea I had was maybe spray foam insulation? Maybe both, and use the foam to hold the balls in place? Figure worst case scenario, it doesn’t work and it’s a pain to remove.

What do you think? Any ideas I haven’t thought of?

Anyone have any ideas for/experience with increasing a kayak’s weight carrying capacity?

I have a lifetime payette 98, and it has a weight capacity of 250lbs. I’m weighing in around 225-230 most days. I plan to use it for fishing and maybe hunting ducks on some nearby lakes and ponds. Not planning to bring a lot of gear, but more than nothing. I’ve read that your should try not to exceed 80% of a kayak’s capacity, which is 200lbs. I’d like to increase the boat’s cap, if I can, by about 50lbs.

I’ve seen these “airbags” that seem to achieve this, but they’re not cheap by any means. About $120 to get ones for both the bow and stern. I got the kayak for $40, so I’m not worried about it looks, and bubba solutions aren’t off limits.

Some thoughts I’ve had are to get some kickballs, or similar, and deflate them a bit, stuff into the hill, and inflate to the point where they’ll hold. Another idea I had was maybe spray foam insulation? Maybe both, and use the foam to hold the balls in place? Figure worst case scenario, it doesn’t work and it’s a pain to remove.

What do you think? Any ideas I haven’t thought of?
URETHANS FOAM works...if you buy it at a fiberglass supplier... 2 part.....mix it yourself.......use industrial weight garbage bags,or one inside the other.....stand your kayak on end ......don't breath the fumes !!!!!!!! see mixing instructions for how much displacement for a given amount . to remove use a serrated bread knife...a new sharp one......I had a fiberglass boat repair/ business.........only other thing is install out riggers...like on the HAWAIIAN canoes......on one side or better yet,2 . once the foam KICKS OFF its no longer a hazard ....no fumes....you could eat it !!!! have fun.

I don’t think that anything fortified inside of the kayak will increase its capacity. The weight of the foam or what have you will diminish your payload accordingly. It will help prevent it from sinking once capacity has been exceeded though. You need an outrigger /pontoon system. Or a bigger boat that can displace more water.

I don’t think that anything fortified inside of the kayak will increase its capacity. The weight of the foam or what have you will diminish your payload accordingly. It will help prevent it from sinking once capacity has been exceeded though. You need an outrigger /pontoon system. Or a bigger boat that can displace more water.
This. Airbags and perhaps foam inside a kayak would help if you flip and allow air to displace water thus making your boat lighter easier to flip right side up and easier to pull to shore, but it will not add weight capacity. The issue isn't as much that you will sink the boat at 80% of recommended capacity but that it will be MUCH more tippy and harder to maneuver. My recommendation is wait until it warms up and sell your current boat and buy a bigger one. Some kind of outrigger set up could work as well and would help it from a weight and stability standpoint, but I have never looked into those.

Outrigger would help stability also.
Kayak Outriggers

Hadn’t thought, or heard, of aftermarket outriggers. Those seem pretty affordable and practical.
This. Airbags and perhaps foam inside a kayak would help if you flip and allow air to displace water thus making your boat lighter easier to flip right side up and easier to pull to shore, but it will not add weight capacity. The issue isn't as much that you will sink the boat at 80% of recommended capacity but that it will be MUCH more tippy and harder to maneuver. My recommendation is wait until it warms up and sell your current boat and buy a bigger one. Some kind of outrigger set up could work as well and would help it from a weight and stability standpoint, but I have never looked into those.
I do have a bigger boat, but I need another person to help getting that one in the water. This little one is just for quick solo trips. Luckily the places I’m looking to take it the water is only about hip level or less, so even if I didn’t flip I can just walk out if need be.

Hadn’t thought, or heard, of aftermarket outriggers. Those seem pretty affordable and practical.

I do have a bigger boat, but I need another person to help getting that one in the water. This little one is just for quick solo trips. Luckily the places I’m looking to take it the water is only about hip level or less, so even if I didn’t flip I can just walk out if need be.
Be carefull,you only need a few inches to drown !!!
look up U-TUBE VIDEO= FOAM FILLING MY FISHING KAYAK.

google TOTAL BOAT....marine pour foam for kayaks.
p.s. the foam weighs,iirc, between 1-2 pounds per cubic foot....
cheers Glenn

Didn't @Gerald Martin do something like that on his sheep hunt with coolers for outriggers with a canoe full of guys and sheep? Redneck but workable for sure. Outriggers would make it more stable, good idea in the winter cold, and increase the load capacity, but would make it not as nimble to paddle through the reeds. Something like the individual pontoons on an inflatable pontoon boat would work.

Didn't @Gerald Martin do something like that on his sheep hunt with coolers for outriggers with a canoe full of guys and sheep? Redneck but workable for sure. Outriggers would make it more stable, good idea in the winter cold, and increase the load capacity, but would make it not as nimble to paddle through the reeds. Something like the individual pontoons on an inflatable pontoon boat would work.
This is the first thing I thought of when I read the title!

Be carefull,you only need a few inches to drown !!!
look up U-TUBE VIDEO= FOAM FILLING MY FISHING KAYAK.

google TOTAL BOAT....marine pour foam for kayaks.
p.s. the foam weighs,iirc, between 1-2 pounds per cubic foot....
cheers Glenn
Oh don’t worry, I’m an stickler for wearing PFDs. I don’t swim well at all, so I don’t go in the water without one. I’m just saying even if the boat did sink, I wouldn’t be stranded, as I could walk back to the bank.

Kayak outriggers.

To be honest a good sized paddle board with a chair would be pretty useful for some activities like this.

Get a bigger kayak.
Trust me, trying to go past the max rating NEVER works out good. You’ll be way happier and safer.

It was on my hunt but it was @theat’s canoe and outriggers. It was basically a frame of 1” square steel sized to accept two 30 quart coolers spanned across the edges of the canoe. I don’t think it would work without a rigid frame to attach to.

Pffffft, ratings are so over rated, just like “serving suggestions” and expiration dates on food. (Humor attempt)

Hope the fishing is good

I'd do that stuff to a canoe instead. Look at the Sportspal canoes for ideas. Ethafoam sponsons work as advertised.

Back