Caribou Gear

Increasing Kayak’s Weight Capacity

Thinking I might just see if any of my lighter buddies are interested in buying the kayak.

I haven’t weighed under 200lbs since the 7th grade, so that’s not a viable option. The outriggers, while tempting, seem like I’d be putting too much faith in them for my comfort. I might just need to figure out how to launch my bigger boat solo.

Get a bigger kayak, modifying it can radically alter its design characteristics and its safe operation.

Bit of an update on this.
I’ve taken the Kayak in question out a few times, and it performs fine as is for what I need. Just paddling around and fishing in very low risk flat water scenarios. It sits a little low in the water, but no where near at risk of sinking….But, why leave well enough alone, right?

So, I had the bright idea that if I need to increase surface area and buoyancy, what about adding some pool noodles to the outside of the hull? So that’s what I did. I got 2 foam pool noodles, sliced them in half lengthwise, and glued them to the sides with some E6000. Going to let it cure up for a few days before I take it out, but it’s holding together so far.

I figure best case scenario, I bought myself a little more wiggle room for the boat’s load capacity. Worst case scenario, I now have funny looking side bumpers and it might handle like garbage. We’ll find out after this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • 70822582287__B1C63178-C0F8-4E50-88F9-9A2EBAC42B27.jpeg
    70822582287__B1C63178-C0F8-4E50-88F9-9A2EBAC42B27.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
I’m a yaker but not an engineer but I agree you can not can increase the weight capacity by putting any more floatation in the inside. Most yaks function best at about 70% of the weight capacity. Keep your eye open for used yak with about 300-350lb capacity. Performance will be great. I think a lot of this type of equipment was purchased during covid so people could get outdoors. They will get tired of storing it in the garage or beside the house and there will be deals on them.

Bit of an update on this.
I’ve taken the Kayak in question out a few times, and it performs fine as is for what I need. Just paddling around and fishing in very low risk flat water scenarios. It sits a little low in the water, but no where near at risk of sinking….But, why leave well enough alone, right?

So, I had the bright idea that if I need to increase surface area and buoyancy, what about adding some pool noodles to the outside of the hull? So that’s what I did. I got 2 foam pool noodles, sliced them in half lengthwise, and glued them to the sides with some E6000. Going to let it cure up for a few days before I take it out, but it’s holding together so far.

I figure best case scenario, I bought myself a little more wiggle room for the boat’s load capacity. Worst case scenario, I now have funny looking side bumpers and it might handle like garbage. We’ll find out after this weekend.
It might effect performance some but thats a pretty good idea and shot at increasing capacity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back