Caribou Gear Tarp

In the market (soon) for a new rifle

Speeddmn

Long story short, Ive reduced my collection down to what I really like to shoot/need. Both my boys are getting older and I need to accommodate them with rifles also. I really only use 2 bolt guns, a 22-250 with a 26" heavy barrel and my Howa 7mm08. I won't be hunting anything larger than elk for the next few years so I feel like I don't need to go up in caliber anytime soon. When that happens it will be either a 300 WM or 338 Federal (maybe).

To cover ground on the bottom of the spectrum, my wife will be picking up a new to her AR from her dad and her mom should be passing her 243 down for the boys. Now when that 243 arrives is anyone's guess, the AR will be next time we drive down to Vegas.

I enjoy the sport of long range shooting and would love to have a rifle that is dedicated only for that, no way I would carry a 12+ lb rifle into the hills to chase some animals. I also don't have much need for a sub 7lb rifle since goats and such are also not in the extended future hunts.

So with all that, I am looking at the new Howa HCR in 6.5 Creedmoor. On the flip side getting one of the Mini actions from Howa in 223 since reloading will be cheaper and also fun for the boys to shoot with. Decisions like this might keep me awake at night! Mmmmm... What to do...?

Everyone needs rifles in every bullet size made. See, now you have needs.

Well you have come to the right place. Ben Long, JLS, jryoung, and many others here are masters in helping you spend your money on new or at least new to you guns. Thanks to JLS and Ben, I am now playing with the idea of getting a nice side by side to carry around the grouse and chukar hills.

Last edited:
Well you have come to the right place. Ben Long, JLS, jryoung, and many others here are masters in helping you spend your money on new or at least new to you guns. Thanks to JLS and Ben I am now playing with the idea of getting a nice side by side to carry around the grouse and chukar hills.

Yeah, shotguns... thats for another month! My old 870 from my grandpa still works and i'll never let it go! But and new Semi for ducks does sound like fun! Haha

Just bought a new Tikka in .308 win this summer, so the shotgun might have to wait til next year or so. I am happily married and would like to keep it that way. But it is never to early to educate myself on what a good deal looks like when I finally am in the market. ;)

Which model do you mean by HCR?

Since you seem to want a long range play thing, I'd look elsewhere than the Howa mini in 223. The magazine length and barrel twist will keep you from shooting the better, VLDish bullets. I'd look for something with at least 1-8" twist and longer magazine than the mini. Most Creedmoor's come with a 1-8" twist, so you should be good there. You didn't mention price, but for a long range play thing, the Ruger Precision Rifle has a long going for it. You could probably save a few bucks and have something very similar by getting a Ruger American Predator and then putting it in a MDT Chassis. It would also allow you to string the costs out a bit as from what I read the Predator stock is quite serviceable. If you don't like the idea of a chassis, but want a heavier stock, Boyds makes a laminate stock for the American. Another option in the Creedmoor would be the Tikka CTR. It's got quite the reputation for accuracy and is still light enough that I wouldn't hesitate to pack it on a hunt.

Which model do you mean by HCR?

Since you seem to want a long range play thing, I'd look elsewhere than the Howa mini in 223. The magazine length and barrel twist will keep you from shooting the better, VLDish bullets. I'd look for something with at least 1-8" twist and longer magazine than the mini. Most Creedmoor's come with a 1-8" twist, so you should be good there. You didn't mention price, but for a long range play thing, the Ruger Precision Rifle has a long going for it. You could probably save a few bucks and have something very similar by getting a Ruger American Predator and then putting it in a MDT Chassis. It would also allow you to string the costs out a bit as from what I read the Predator stock is quite serviceable. If you don't like the idea of a chassis, but want a heavier stock, Boyds makes a laminate stock for the American. Another option in the Creedmoor would be the Tikka CTR. It's got quite the reputation for accuracy and is still light enough that I wouldn't hesitate to pack it on a hunt.

HCR is the Howa Chassis Rifle, 1-8 twist for the 6.5, the mini would be something to play with for the kids. Howa offers quite the savings over other companies with military discount. As for the RPR, I've talked to a few guys local to me that have them and after the initial 1100-1300 average cost and wait/finding the one they want. They still dumped a couple hundred bucks into it with standard upgrades. The Tikka's are nice, all of them, but if I went that route I would just get a used one and have a rifle built off the action, again that would be in the 1500 plus initial cost of whatever used gun I found.

Well you have come to the right place. Ben Long, JLS, jryoung, and many others here are masters in helping you spend your money on new or at least new to you guns. Thanks to JLS and Ben, I am now playing with the idea of getting a nice side by side to carry around the grouse and chukar hills.

Merry Christams!

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/invent.php

My niece has the 6.5 Howa and loves it. She got the package with the Nikko Sterling Scope and uses it for both long range & hunting.

I didn't see the Howa Chassis Rifle on the Legacy Sports website so I was thrown off.

Yeah, I saw it on Facebook awhile back then emailed Matt at LSI about it the other day.

Merry Christams!

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/invent.php

My niece has the 6.5 Howa and loves it. She got the package with the Nikko Sterling Scope and uses it for both long range & hunting.

Those guns sure are purty! Which 6.5 did she get? The Creedmoor or the Mini in Grendel? I like the thought of the Mini action, for the calibers it has. 6.5 Creedmoor has such a huge following that would almost feel bandwagon-ish getting one.. Just hard to argue over the ballistics of it!

You should check out SWFA today. I don't mean to get your cart before the horse, but they have some awesome deals on their SWFA SS scopes. I was sorely tempted to buy one with no rifle to out it on. They would be a great option for what you are talking about if you don't want to drop a bunch more $$$ on a night force.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back