In the event I'm lucky...?

Moe

...and shoot a bear in the coming weeks. Is it my understanding I have to remove the entire bear from the woods in MT?

I skin it, then cut out meat, then still have to bring skull to check-station??

...Or am I reading this wrong?

Sounds like a couple trips to retrieve if I'm alone. Meat/skull out to cooler first (truck), then come back for hide I guess?

Moe:eek:

I don't think you have to pack the spine, ribs, and other bones except the skull. But I've never shot a bear.

I don't think you have to pack the spine, ribs, and other bones except the skull. But I've never shot a bear.

Naw just the meat, hide and skull. Montana's more lenient on meat then some states too, as long as you have the four quarters and backstraps you're okay.

Big thing on bear is to make sure you leave proof of sex attached to the hide, that's a biggie.

Thanks guys,

Quick follow-up ???...
Say I take a bear that does go 150-200lb.
After skinning, how much weight am I looking at toting out on my back:confused:?

Moe

My bear last year, which was a 5.5 foot fall bear, weighed 160 pounds field dressed.
I'm guess he was right at 200 live weight.
The hide, boned out meat, and skull on a 200 pounder would probably be right around 100 pounds.
That's a guess though, I've never weighed the broken down parts. Greeny or crittergetter would probably have a lot better idea.

Rough rule of thumb on deer/elk (not sure if it applies to bears) is 40% of live weight in boned meat. A 200# critter produces roughly 80# of meat.

Rough rule of thumb on deer/elk (not sure if it applies to bears) is 40% of live weight in boned meat. A 200# critter produces roughly 80# of meat.

My thinking was that a bear would be more like 30% on the boned out meat, having a heavier bone structure and hide. I figured the skull and hide would weigh ~40 on a bear that size.

Sounds like I better pair up with another hunter; else I'll be making two trips to pack-out?

(Figuring I'll be toting a few pounds in as well)?

Now for the fun part-

Judge this bear....weight/age???

bearcub2009135.jpg

Moe

pretty light/young, I'm guessing 2-3 years old and ~100-125 lbs

I wouldn't be dissuaded by having to make two trips. If you're gonna hike in somewhere most days to hunt, whats hiking back in the next day to pack one out?

That's a pretty floppy eared boo-boo.
Kill whatever floats your boat though, a young bears hide on the wall looks just as good and doesn't take anywhere near the wallspace.

That's a pretty floppy eared boo-boo.
Kill whatever floats your boat though, a young bears hide on the wall looks just as good and doesn't take anywhere near the wallspace.

Yeah, cant fool you guys?;)

He's just a baby and I wouldnt think of shooting him. Thought maybe someone might over- estimate his weight/age, since I hid him behind brush, but you guys are obvious Pros.

I think those ears gave it away. This little fella made nightly appearances near Fort Smith while walking my dogs one summer; and I have lots of pics of him.

Anyway,....spring bear season starts TODAY :eek:...so might be heading out over next week to see what I see???

Met a dude scoping mountains last night for bears already over in Bridgers, but he hadnt seen any yet. I saw 12 bulls hanging together just about a mile later, and only one still had his head-gear left on (one side). Still neat to see.

Thanks for all your answers.

Moe:cool:

100# was Generous.... Coming from someone that has more 100# bears under his belt then 99% of the other hunters, I know :D

Good luck Moe !!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Montana WSF
Back