Yeti GOBOX Collection

In Need Of A 20 Gauge Slug Gun...

Joe Hulburt

I got lucky and drew a pretty good deer tag here in Oregon that has weapon limitation of shotgun, muzzleloader or bow. I have a muzzleloader that I can kill with at 100 yards and a bow that I am confident with out of 50 yards on deer size target. In Oregon you can use a scope on a shotgun but not a muzzleloader for some reason and my eyesight isn't what it used to be and open sights can be pretty frustrating. The hunt is also in some fairly open country and I would like to be able to shoot out to 150 yards which leads me in search of a slug gun. Apparently nobody is currently making them and after several days of searching I am getting frustrated. The only new 20 gauge slug gun I can find is a Savage bolt action which will work if it has to but I really want a single shot like a Thompson Center Encore of the much less expensive CVA Hunter. HR also makes a good one. Any suggestions on a shop that might have one of those? Anybody have one they want to sell? Just thought I would throw it out there, thanks!

I have an H&R single shot 20 gauge with a rifled barrel. My brother has the Encore single shot and the savage bolt action. You definitely want the bolt action. I love single shot guns, but compared to our single shot guns his bolt action slug gun is a tack driver! Way more accurate and consistent groups! Hope this helps!

I have an H&R single shot 20 gauge with a rifled barrel. My brother has the Encore single shot and the savage bolt action. You definitely want the bolt action. I love single shot guns, but compared to our single shot guns his bolt action slug gun is a tack driver! Way more accurate and consistent groups! Hope this helps!
Excellent information, thanks!

Old Mossberg 500 pump gun

Fully rifled barrel
In this case I had removed the scope/mounts and just had fiber optic front and skinner peep rear
Remington copper solid slugs
Longest one shot kill was 194 yards.
From a rest or bench I could get around 4.5"-6" groups at 200 yards. Which is plenty accurate for deer sized critters.

Of your listed choices the Savage 220 is BY FAR the best choice!
But if you can't find one a slug barrel/scope set up on about any shotgun with some sabot slugs should do nicely inside of 150-200 yards.

I have a savage 220 and can shoot 3 inch groups out to 150 yards with Remington Accutips
This!!! I shoot the same combo and I don’t see how you could have a better slug gun. Well, unless you want a Tar Hunt but they will cost you. Get the Savage and shot the ammo they recommend. You’ll be pleased. If you were closer, I’d let you borrow mine.

This!!! I shoot the same combo and I don’t see how you could have a better slug gun. Well, unless you want a Tar Hunt but they will cost you. Get the Savage and shot the ammo they recommend. You’ll be pleased. If you were closer, I’d let you borrow mine.
You guys have changed my mind. Going to go with the Savage.

With the Savage 220, you can definitely extend your range a bit more than 150 yards, a hunting buddy of mine has one and I've seen him take a few deer with it in the 200 yard range. I believe the furthest shot was 210 yards the one year. He use the 3" Remington Accutips as well.

You might be able to find a Mossburg 695 used for much cheaper than the Savage. I used to use one successfully out to 150 no problem.

I’m not a slug gun hunter, but the ones that I know swear by the 220. Let us know how it does when you get it and shoot it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back