In Ireland May 2020

thusby

Well, I'll be in Ireland next year in May. I have no clue if there are any fishing or hunting opportunities at that time of the year but thought I would throw it out there. I've been to Ireland once and recreational fishing didn't seem like a big thing there. I'm imagining there isn't much hunting going either.
If anyone has any recommendations, that would be a great starting point. The interwebs haven't been much help.

I know that Scotland can have some pretty remarkable fly fishing opportunities if you make your way that direction at all. As for Ireland, I am curious to know as well.

@devon deer lives in England and has fished in Ireland. I would send him a PM and see what he recommends. When I was there in July, the salmon were running on a couple of rivers and there were several fishermen going after them in the rivers around Galway. Most of the outdoor shops I visited while on my trip were in towns along their western coast.

Fishing is huge in Ireland. Some great trout fishing are Ennis and around Cork and Kerry, also up towards Sligo though I haven't spent much time there. There is no license but there are local clubs which may have their own regulations. Best to get in touch with one of the clubs in the area you plan to visit, they'll set you in the right direction. I don't know any hunters there, can't help in that regard.

Cheers,
Pat

Thanks @Sawtooth
In May, that is perfect, rivers and lakes on the West coast will be the famed Mayfly hatch, duffers fortnight, any old duffer can catch a trout!
Get a boat and do drifts on some of the lochs, or pick a river, Salmon, the Erriff is stunning, but so much opportunity on the West coast, or Blackwater near Cork, endless opportunities, lots of guides around.
There is hunting, but I haven't tried over there, I might be able to find out for you.
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back