Importance of Hunting on Opening Day in the Back Country???

Outdoor Junkie

Hello all,

Five friends and I are heading out to Idaho for a high country/ backpack mule deer hunt in October. We are setting up in pairs of 2 at 3 separate camp locations all between 5-8 miles back in. The question I have is how important is it to be hunting on opening day? Back here in Wisconsin and Minnesota, it is pretty much a requirement to be hunting opening morning when on public land. I think ~ 50% of the deer are shot on opening day and probably 70% are shot on opening weekend. Anything that is left will be locked down during the daylight unless pushed by other hunters.

If we left after work on Friday, we likely wouldn't start our hike back in until Sunday morning before first light and be back to camp around noon on the second day of the season ( Sunday, October 12th). By doing this, we get more time to hunt, because several of the guys can really only take 5 working days off. Some because of limited vacation and other because of work restrictions.

We've never hunted this far back in on a back country hunt before, so we thought we'd get feedback from the guys who know.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Chuck

If your in a unit that doesn't get pounded or your far enough away from people it doesn't matter. In two of our spots in crowded units it could pay off to be there opening day, (Saturday this year), might get lucky.

I have always found opening day to be really important if you have scouted and have something found. Once someone bumps them they will change there habits. Good luck sounds like a fun hunt.

Some areas here get better towards the end of the season. If you get an honest 2 miles from a road you will probably not see anybody. Good luck to you guys

We are definitely getting back a real 5-8 miles. We just went out backpacking in this area 3 weeks ago and covered 30 miles in 3 1/2 days. We saw 11 mountain goats, 6 moose ( 2 were small bulls) and 11 mule deer. 4 of the deer were shooters in my book, so we feel good about the area. We're just really concerned about missing out on the best 2 days if we don't pack in until the second day of the season.

Thanks for the feedback!

Some areas here get better towards the end of the season. If you get an honest 2 miles from a road you will probably not see anybody. Good luck to you guys

Good deal, pre-hunt knowledge is invaluable. Don't sweat missing the opener that far in. Do keep an eye on the weather though depending on the elevation.

Ive only ever killed one buck on opening day. That said, I dont think ive ever missed the opener, i dont think I could make myself stay home.

I'm in MT...don't know if I have ever once hunted deer on opening day. I prefer to wait until early to mid Nov and hunt the rut. If you are that far into the backcountry, I really think your chances of a good buck are better around 2nd week of Nov. I wouldn't worry one bit about not being there on the opener.

I'm in MT...don't know if I have ever once hunted deer on opening day. I prefer to wait until early to mid Nov and hunt the rut. If you are that far into the backcountry, I really think your chances of a good buck are better around 2nd week of Nov. I wouldn't worry one bit about not being there on the opener.

I definitely like hunting the rut as well, but the season in this are arums from October 10-24, so there isn't the opportunity to really hunt the rut. Also, the biologists said that the deer should be starting the migration, so our hope is that some will be in the move.

i like openers but i think unless the area gets hammered i don't think it matters to much and may get even better depending on other seasons (elk gun) that may not have opened yet or weather factors. being in the woods is what matters don't over think it, go with what you think is best for you and your style hunt...

C

i like openers but i think unless the area gets hammered i don't think it matters to much and may get even better depending on other seasons (elk gun) that may not have opened yet or weather factors. being in the woods is what matters don't over think it, go with what you think is best for you and your style hunt...

C

Just found out that there is a draw hunt in this area that opens on October 5th. based on that, I don't think it will be as critical to be set up prior to opening morning. Sounds like we're leaving on friday afternoon, getting out there on Saturday at noon and then hunting until the following friday. Shoudl be a blast! Thanks for all the feedback.

I have killed elk on the last day of the hunt with my bow and I was the only one around. I think in AZ a lot of our pressure is opening weekend and the second weekend then most of the hunters go home.

Just found out that there is a draw hunt in this area that opens on October 5th. based on that, I don't think it will be as critical to be set up prior to opening morning. Sounds like we're leaving on friday afternoon, getting out there on Saturday at noon and then hunting until the following friday. Shoudl be a blast! Thanks for all the feedback.

Why not a Montana hunt over the rut in mid November ? Just curious , I think mid October you are going to find it very slow ..... Hope I'm wrong good luck to you all !

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back