Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Import/export issues to the Hunt chip with new OnX update

bdubb78

Am I the only one that is more than a little disappointed that OnX seems to no longer be supporting the Hunt chip as they have in the past? With this new update they made the web and app platform a whole lot better, but they don't seem to care that you spend all that time marking up your online maps but can no longer transfer that off to your Hunt chip or even to Google Earth for a better 3D view of things. It seems to me that they shouldn't be issuing product releases until their whole ecosystem of products work together otherwise they are alienating their own customer base. I could have just bought a 3 month subscription to the app for far cheaper than buying the chip had I known I would just be back to using my cell phone all along.

Unfortunately a lot of software has become that way. Everyone wants web based and/or cloud service rather than for a pc (looking at you quickbooks). In reality that doesn't work for a lot of people. Newer and more "dynamic" doesn't always mean better. Fortunately or unfortunately for me I don't use onX the way a lot of you use it. So I don't have those issues. But I certainly understand the frustration when you can't do certain things you used to.

We are working on Import right now. We will then follow up with Export. Our product is never done. We couldn't wait any longer to get to get the product update out so some features had to be cut for launch. It was a fun 9 months rebuilding now we can spend our time and entire resources on new features and making everything easier. Matt

Howdy,

Let me first say that I have taught myself and programmed in 30 languages. I teach the use of multiple computer softwares, etc. in High School. So let me tell you that their lesson/tutorials are still lacking!

I know the onXmaps is cool, but I haven't got it figured out well at all. I don't know how to save a map on my laptop, then upload it into my phone. It also appears that if I want to upload detail levels of the two Colorado GMUs I plan on hunting, it is a ton of little files I have to mark and download. I don't know what to do then. How do I get them onto the phone? Is each one it's own map? Do I have to sew them back together to work as a complete and useful plat? Can I load it on top of Google Earth?

Ya know. onXmaps should do a weekly TV show (of their own), on one of the "hunting networks", conducting tutorials/lesson on "How To's".

I couldn't count on onXmaps working like I wanted and last year when I had it along. It was useless!! I used other map programs I previously installed on my phone along with GPS Essentials. Now that is a fine program!!!! So, for this upcoming elk hunting season, I went to the onXmaps online using my laptop. I then zoomed in on the two GMUs and printed it all out and I put it together in sections. This is just in case technology fails me, I will still be a valid hunter, I will know where I am(using other maps & GPS Essentials), and where I want to go.

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back