I'm on my way!

AKBound

My bestfriend and roommate (HONDO) is on Hunt talk constantly. Now its time for me.
Here is the set up. I've been married for 3 years but been with my wife for 14 years. Its (my marriage) is over. I live in Idaho Falls, ID. and as soon as I settle everything here, I'm moving to AK. I'm 37 and have always wanted to live there. I have a job opportunity with my current company in Anchorage with a tentative start date in late November or early December. I am currently a mule deer hunting fool and have an article in the Dec./Jan issue of Eastmans. I'm excited about being able to hunt sheep, goats, and griz. I come to AK almost every year to hunt caribou or moose. I'm so excited to move I cant stand it. I'm ready to start this new chapter in my life but I am going to need a ton of info.
Here goes.... The beginning of my trek to AK. I'm pumped.

Specific and general info on anything hunting or otherwise will be appreciated.
AKBound

By It's Over... do you mean living in Idaho is Over or your Wife is over ?

Either way, Hondo's put up some good pictures, Glad you're aboard.

AKBound, I don't blame you one bit for leaving Idaho Falls. The friggin wind blows there too dang much for my liking. Good luck in Alaska....you won't miss Idaho one bit. Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

AKbound, welcome to moosies. Moving to anchorage huh, I'm sorry:D Any specific questions you have? been living in anchorage for about 10 years now. I dont like anchorage but I can think of alot worse places to live.

What line of work are you in?

Good luck. Sounds like you are off on the adventure of a lifetime.

I sincerely hope you are making more money in AK than you do in Idaho..

:cool:

They aren't mulies but if you ever get the itch to go for Sitkas let me know. Also if you can move up before hunting season and get your residency you'd be able to hunt 07 with a resident tag. You'd also be able to go after goats, sheep and griz in 07. You can put in for the draws as long as you will be a resident when the hunt starts. That first year is a rough one, but it does give you time to scout. :D
BTW nice buck and article, Last Efforts right?

Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome! I really am excited!
Danr55- no its gonna be rough I'll be at 1/2 of what I was making in ID
TB-Yep, last Efforts. I will definitely be after sitkas and my first year I would definietely do that as a non-resident. After lookin at your posts, How do you sleep at night campin on an Island with such big bears? What is the stratagy of where to camp to not run into the big guys?

I don't know what you were making in ID, but I hope it was outstanding for Idaho if you're going to be making 1/2 of that in Alaska. The estimated relationship in cost of living is 172% of your Idaho income to have an equivalent lifestyle in Alaska.

:cool:

Poor or Happy

Like I told my brother.... I would rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable. I'm in sales anyway so I will just have to bust my hump for a couple years to get it back. No worries. Thanks.

My strategy is pretty simple. I camp in the alpine and hike hard to get there. That way I'm dead tired at night and could care less if one grabs me or not. :D

We have black bears here. Not big but lots of em. The wonderful world of prescription zanax.... Plus I don't care how big of a rock is digging into my back. Gods way of gettin even for me takin a head now and then is havin those da*n bears buggin me all the time.

I'm with TB, when I aly my head down I'm done. If a bear grabs me I might wake up but not sure.

One year we were camping on kenai lake and a brownie actually slept on the corner of our tent. My wife tried to wake me up but it wasnt happening. She told me about it the next morning and until I seen the tracks and where he laid down I didnt believe her.

I came up here in 1988 for a 2 week vacation. On the 4th day I was here I called my boss in Kalifornia and gave my 2 weeks notice, then called my wife and told here I just quit my job. We loaded as much as we could in a pickup and travel trailer and hit the road a couple months later. Neither one of us had jobs lined up.

I started guiding as soon as I could and had my own guiding business for a few years. My wife has always had a good year-round job, and I've been able to find seasonal work when not guiding. There's only been a couple years I've made as much money as what I left down south, but I've never regretted the move.

Here's a good link for available jobs up here:
http://www.jobs.state.ak.us/

Those pack your cloths and leave stories are awsome I wish I had the courage to do something like that. Good on ya AKbound

Good luck, and I'm certainly glad your moving to a place you really love...

I sure hope you have plenty of pics to share of your adventures in AK, have fun and we will be waiting to hear how it goes... :)

Back