I'm Going To Need A BIGGER NET!!!

Big Sky

I was more than a little surprised when this old swamp monster rainbow tried to rip the rod out of my hands. I was fishing in a body of water not known for fist much bigger than 18" long. I guess nobody told this guy that. This is a seriously large rainbow trout for southern Utah.
Troy-Adams-4-1-2022-A.jpg

More pics on my Instagram @troyadams1964

Sweet mother of god... nice work landing it

Did you measure that beast?
I was in too big of a hurry to get it back in the water so I didn't get a measurement. The opening of that net from the front to where the handle begins is exactly 18" so it's a pretty big fish as it hangs over both ends by a ways. Funny side story though. I was dressed in my work clothes which are semi formal. I was expecting to just catch smaller trout and swing them up to me, unhook, and release. I couldn't reach the water's edge because of all the tall sage brush and other bushes. It was about a 3.5 to 4 foot high brush wall between me and the water. I couldn't reach the water with my net either. So when I got this trout in close and saw how big he was, I didn't have many options. I did what any crazy trout fisherman would do. I jumped over the brush wall straight into the water. It was nasty swamp water and I smelled like nasty swamp and cow crap for the rest of the evening...but I did net the fish and didn't lose it. I figured clothes can always be washed as well as my shoes. If you look closely at the middle left right above my hand you can see how my shoes fared. When not soaked they are light gray...

I was in too big of a hurry to get it back in the water so I didn't get a measurement. The opening of that net from the front to where the handle begins is exactly 18" so it's a pretty big fish as it hangs over both ends by a ways. Funny side story though. I was dressed in my work clothes which are semi formal. I was expecting to just catch smaller trout and swing them up to me, unhook, and release. I couldn't reach the water's edge because of all the tall sage brush and other bushes. It was about a 3.5 to 4 foot high brush wall between me and the water. I couldn't reach the water with my net either. So when I got this trout in close and saw how big he was, I didn't have many options. I did what any crazy trout fisherman would do. I jumped over the brush wall straight into the water. It was nasty swamp water and I smelled like nasty swamp and cow crap for the rest of the evening...but I did net the fish and didn't lose it. I figured clothes can always be washed as well as my shoes. If you look closely at the middle left right above my hand you can see how my shoes fared. When not soaked they are light gray...
Worth it...that is a once in a lifetime trout for 99% of fisherman

Bigger than your net and you landed it anyway. Usually that becomes a fish tale, instead you got pictures. Tremendous trout for you - congrats on getting your shoes dirty for the right reason.

Back