I'm Above Average

Quick Draw

I got a letter from the WA. State department of Fish and Game today that even said so.

Dear Hunter,
You have been identified by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's hunter database as one of the more successful deer hunters in your hunting area. As such, we would like to solicit your help in the coming deer season.

As a hunter, you are probably aware of the fatal neurological disease known as Chronic Wasting Disease that is occurring in the wild deer in some of the western state, most notably Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico. After seven years of sampling Washington's deer and elk for chronic wasting disease, the Department of Fish and Wildlife is confident that chronic wasting disease does not occur in the those areas from which we have very few samples, hence our reason for contacting you.

One of those areas is the area in which you have successfully harvested deer in the last several years. Assuming you will return to the same hunting area this fall, we are asking you for your cooperation to help us sample harvested deer from this area.

As an added incentive, hunters who notify WDFW after harvesting deer in Wahkiakum, Lewis, Cowlitz, Clark, Skamania and Klickitat counties, and allow the deparment to collect a brain-stem tissue sample from the animal, will have a chance to win valuable prizes and gift certificates from local businesses.

If you harvest a deer this fall here's how you can help:
Arrange to meet with a WDFW sampler within 48 hours of the animals being killed by calling the CWD hotline (800-888-7513) AND keep the head chilled (not frozen) until sampled. This will allow us to remove the brain stem. The removal of the brain stem takes only a few minutes and has no effect on the quality of the carcass. Brain tissue deteriorates rapidly, hence the need for quick action.
Or if you are unable to meet with a WDFW sampler within 48 hours then
Keep the head cool until it can be frozen. Once frozen, the head can be stored indefinitely until we can arrange to collect the sample.

With your assistance, and the assistance of other hunters who cherish the sport of hunting and see the benfit of healthy wildlife populations, we can fill in the gaps an say with even greater confidence that Washington is a Chronic Wasting Disease free state.

Sincerly,

Fred Dobler
Region 5 Wildlife Manager
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

So guys isn't that cool??? I think it is :cool: :D :cool: :D

Quick Draw

Dang we must be good Erin
hump.gif
I got one too :D ..Do you think they can get the stuff they need fron a deer with half a head??
elkgrin.gif

Hunterman(Tony)

I think as long as the brain stems are still intact the should be able too, but they are testing for CWD so the probably want the whole head. I'd say go for the neck just to make them happy...LOL.
Quick Draw

Kill joy
elkgrin.gif
I'll try to remember to go for the neck :( Remember what happened to that doe in Champion, when the game people asked not to shoot for the head :eek: ooppsss :D

Hunterman(Tony)

Good thing we ahve two refer's wouldn't you say? So would we put the head in the big chest freezer or the up right in hte house????
Oh yeah dad only the body for you, the game officals want the spinal cord intacted...LOL :D
Quick Draw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back