Yeti GOBOX Collection

Illinois Wolf Reintroduction Survey

Most of the beef operations in northern IL around me are small scale grass fed beef. Theres also a few lamb operations around too. Wolves would be a problem for sure.

No wolf survey for me,

I'm a researcher in wildlife sciences, that's what I do for a living. That said, I'm not going to elaborate on my personal beliefs regarding wolves and predators and such, BUT I will point out a thing or two having worked with several other state agencies in writing/issuing public input surveys.

It was a random survey, that's why not everyone got one, and that's a simple dollars and cents decision (although emailed surveys can reach a higher saturation level, response rates are typically quite a bit lower).

State agencies commonly overload surveys with questions, often asking questions that are way outside the purview of the immediate objectives. Why? Because once they are buying stamps, they make sure we get their money out of it. Now as a researcher, we usually discourage surveys that beat around the bush because they often contribute to "survey fatigue" and people getting ideas that this, that, or the other is a hidden (or not so hidden) agenda being pushed. Now, perhaps there is talk of a wolf reintroduction in Illinois - I do not know, but my guess is that there is not any real credible conversation occurring. My face value impression is that they are gauging public support for how they deal with situations when single wolves or a pack of wolves enters the state from the West...sort of the mountain lion from South Dakota wandering to Connecticut a couple years ago situation. And while they are at, they are also asking other questions.

I'd be curious to see the entire survey instrument, but those are my gut reactions.

I'm a researcher in wildlife sciences, that's what I do for a living. That said, I'm not going to elaborate on my personal beliefs regarding wolves and predators and such, BUT I will point out a thing or two having worked with several other state agencies in writing/issuing public input surveys.

It was a random survey, that's why not everyone got one, and that's a simple dollars and cents decision (although emailed surveys can reach a higher saturation level, response rates are typically quite a bit lower).

State agencies commonly overload surveys with questions, often asking questions that are way outside the purview of the immediate objectives. Why? Because once they are buying stamps, they make sure we get their money out of it. Now as a researcher, we usually discourage surveys that beat around the bush because they often contribute to "survey fatigue" and people getting ideas that this, that, or the other is a hidden (or not so hidden) agenda being pushed. Now, perhaps there is talk of a wolf reintroduction in Illinois - I do not know, but my guess is that there is not any real credible conversation occurring. My face value impression is that they are gauging public support for how they deal with situations when single wolves or a pack of wolves enters the state from the West...sort of the mountain lion from South Dakota wandering to Connecticut a couple years ago situation. And while they are at, they are also asking other questions.

I'd be curious to see the entire survey instrument, but those are my gut reactions.

I posted up the other questions on Archerytalk since I had to shrink my images on Hunttalk. Maybe I didn't upload them properly here.

Post #42. You should be able to read them.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3493625&page=2

Interesting survey, I'm not sure it does much to change my opinion though. The Shawnee NF comment was interesting, and it isn't the first time that Shawnee NF has been mentioned with regards to supporting a previously extirpated high profile, charismatic species --- it was strongly considered for elk back in the late 90s.

Call me crazy, but setting up geographic lines in the sand to exterminate wolves as they slowly but surely recolonize old portions of their original range through natural expansion is not much different than mistakes we made 115-175 years ago with American wildlife. In light of another Hunt Talk thread, it would seem foolish to persecute a species because it succeeds in adapting to their local and regional environment...wolves are a far cry from an evolutionary F student.

Interesting survey, I'm not sure it does much to change my opinion though. The Shawnee NF comment was interesting, and it isn't the first time that Shawnee NF has been mentioned with regards to supporting a previously extirpated high profile, charismatic species --- it was strongly considered for elk back in the late 90s.

Call me crazy, but setting up geographic lines in the sand to exterminate wolves as they slowly but surely recolonize old portions of their original range through natural expansion is not much different than mistakes we made 115-175 years ago with American wildlife. In light of another Hunt Talk thread, it would seem foolish to persecute a species because it succeeds in adapting to their local and regional environment...wolves are a far cry from an evolutionary F student.

IDNR has proven themselves incapable of even basic wildlife managment without introducing a new apex predator to the state. I agree with the line in the sand idea but by that logic we should get Elk, black bears, bison, mountain lions and wolves and way fewer whitetail deer than we have now.

I understand your point of view. If the wolf comes back on its own then that's nature doing it's thing. I guess I'm alright with that. The state actively trying to repopulate them? I don't think so. As much as I'd love for nature to be like it was, it just isn't possible. IL looks nothing like it did 200 years ago. Prairies and hardwood flats are now vast expanses of pancake flat dirt fields. Are we going to bring back the buffalo? The elk? Repopulate the mountain lion? IL is not the territory of the human and the whitetail.

That said, the DNR has officially made killing a wolf, black bear, or mountain lion illegal in IL. So I'm sure we'll see more of them showing up on their own.

The wolves are to go with the Bison that will be on Midwein National Grasslands in the not too distant future!

I was thinking the same thing, especially since the mid-west is supposed to hold most of our beef. But I've driven for miles back there and never seen a fence, just plowed farm fields. Maybe I've been there during the wrong time of year or they are all in feed lots?

Anyway, a friend of mine is a soybean farmer in Indiana and he gets a shit-ton of free kill passes for deer, like a hundred or more, depending on the year. I think the wolves might be hard on pets but they might also get rid of some deer. I had three days to hunt his place, promising myself I would leave by noon. I waited for the big one that never came and shot a button buck at 11:59. That's how many deer there were and how easy it was. Not much of a hunt. They were like fleas on a dog. Just didn't see the giant.
Care to share his number??? ;) Have firearms and willing to help with depredation... ;) The area around Sullivan is great deer habitat, just be on the lookout for guys in orange jumpsuits.

Would anyone who received the survey mind posting scans of the full questions? I'm real curious to read it since I haven't received one.

The wolves are to go with the Bison that will be on Midwein National Grasslands in the not too distant future!

Care to share his number??? ;) Have firearms and willing to help with depredation... ;) The area around Sullivan is great deer habitat, just be on the lookout for guys in orange jumpsuits.

Sorry for the highjack: I visited one of his friend's house one day and saw a nice buck on wall. I asked him about it, hoping to hear a good hunting story, still-hunting for days, etc but instead he showed me his bathroom and a window he had right in front of the toilet. He said he was sitting on it one morning, drinking his coffee, taking care of business, and the buck was standing right there in his yard. He kept his rifle there for that reason. Oh well.

Back