Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

If you had to choose Unit 61 Colorado , Elk Muzz, or first rifle

buckhorn10

If you had a choice between the two tags , Elk Muzz or first season rifle , not early rifle which is a different tag . which would you take and why , just putting it out there

Last edited:
I think first rifle starts on the 17th this year. That’s just a little late if you’re wanting to see a bit of the rut. 5 days isn’t all that much time to get it done.

I hunted across the street a couple years ago during the muzzle loader hunt. I would love a 61 muzzy tag. It was tough seeing and hearing all the bulls bugling and not being able to go after them.
I got lucky and found one that I'm sure crossed the road during the night. He didn't make it back. Lol

I've never been there during the rifle hunt so can't speak to that.

9 days hunting with a gun while bugling vs 5 days hunting with a gun while not bugling? Is that the question?

happy to hear the views , so far looks like the muzzy tag is number 1 so far , thanks all so far for your thoughts so far

People saying no bugles in 1st season have clearly never been in 61 during 1st season... that said I'd go Muzzy, 1st season you run the risk that your scouted big bull gets killed by an early rifle hunter, or decides it's time to leave the big herds and go to his hideout, or the whole herd gets blown out by cow hunters...

Muzzy. Scouted and hunted 1st rifle in '19. Watched a lot of elk from Aug going forward, many bulls were busted up by 1st rifle. I killed mine at bedded 60 yds, his bugles got him killed. Hindsight, I wish I'd have had a tag that was live a few weeks earlier. I'd say it's more of an opportunity unit than a trophy unit so the later you go, the more fighting they've been doing.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back