If you can only do one.....

ThunderNocked

Question for you - I was hoping to buy a quad this year and I'm possibly rethinking that. I had one previously but sold it about a year ago as I needed fast cash to close on our first home purchase. It was only a little 330 anyway and I wanted to upgrade to a 500ish size machine.
However with the current market and prices being ridiculous on ATVs I was randomly searching around and started thinking about getting a pack raft instead of a quad for hunting up here. Do some river hunts instead of ATVing hours and hours into the back country. My thought process is - I found the Chugach Mountain Sports Rafts - a NEW raft is half the price of a used 500 size quad with 4wd. I could have the wife or a friend drop me at the river - float down and hunt - then get picked up farther down. It is something I'm not really familiar with but I know there is some great hunting in the Alaska Interior if you can get a boat to access it. The CMS Solo Hunter is $1295 - 13' long, 54" wide with a 1000 pound payload. Interesting idea i had and wanted some feedback - thanks guys.

I go round and round in circles on what is "best" for access. I don't think there is one... A guy needs all forms. :D I have an ATV and now a SxS, had a river boat (sold it and want another), may get a pack raft for hike in and float out to an ATV trail type hunts.

I really want to get a mini jet boat...

I think I would get a bigger boat. A 1000lbs with a moose on board with you and gear could be pushing it, not to mention make it very difficult to maneuver I would think. Also, what if someone wants to come along? That boat looks like its set up to use a motor, so may not handled that well with oars? Not sure, I'm not a raft guy. I would talk to them before purchasing if you intend to use it for floating.

I'd really like a plane, but they are too expensive to own. Way cheaper to just have someone fly me in. :D Storage and maint is 2 fly out trips a year...

It really comes down to time for me. How much time do I have to use something vs purchase, owning/maintaining it.

I think that raft would be pretty damn fun with a small motor on it to plow up some rivers. There are certainly less people in boats than ATVs. It would also be pretty slick to take on a fly out moose hunt in the right location, and or drop and float out type deal. I think it could be a great toy to have and one you could use in the future.

Question for you - I was hoping to buy a quad this year and I'm possibly rethinking that. I had one previously but sold it about a year ago as I needed fast cash to close on our first home purchase. It was only a little 330 anyway and I wanted to upgrade to a 500ish size machine.
However with the current market and prices being ridiculous on ATVs I was randomly searching around and started thinking about getting a pack raft instead of a quad for hunting up here. Do some river hunts instead of ATVing hours and hours into the back country. My thought process is - I found the Chugach Mountain Sports Rafts - a NEW raft is half the price of a used 500 size quad with 4wd. I could have the wife or a friend drop me at the river - float down and hunt - then get picked up farther down. It is something I'm not really familiar with but I know there is some great hunting in the Alaska Interior if you can get a boat to access it. The CMS Solo Hunter is $1295 - 13' long, 54" wide with a 1000 pound payload. Interesting idea i had and wanted some feedback - thanks guys.

This year I did a couple trips using an Alpacka Raft pack raft, the forager has 1000lb rating. I actually just bit the bullet this week and purchased my own boat.

They aren't currently setup for use with a motor... but the Alpacka Raft forager is 13.5lbs not 95, we hiked up a drainage then over to the next valley and then out.

I go round and round in circles on what is "best" for access. I don't think there is one... A guy needs all forms. :D I have an ATV and now a SxS, had a river boat (sold it and want another), may get a pack raft for hike in and float out to an ATV trail type hunts.

I really want to get a mini jet boat...

I think I would get a bigger boat. A 1000lbs with a moose on board with you and gear could be pushing it, not to mention make it very difficult to maneuver I would think. Also, what if someone wants to come along? That boat looks like its set up to use a motor, so may not handled that well with oars? Not sure, I'm not a raft guy. I would talk to them before purchasing if you intend to use it for floating.

I'd really like a plane, but they are too expensive to own. Way cheaper to just have someone fly me in. :D Storage and maint is 2 fly out trips a year...

It really comes down to time for me. How much time do I have to use something vs purchase, owning/maintaining it.

I think that raft would be pretty damn fun with a small motor on it to plow up some rivers. There are certainly less people in boats than ATVs. It would also be pretty slick to take on a fly out moose hunt in the right location, and or drop and float out type deal. I think it could be a great toy to have and one you could use in the future.
I figure I would eventually get both. I agree you kinda need more then one to do all the hunts. But my thinking was more 'first' and it would be a couple years probably before I bought the other one. I would prefer the ATV because I think it would provide more opportunity, I would prefer the SxS because I want to try to get my kids out, but I would probably see the ATV in my price point sooner.
Then I randomly came across pictures of these rafts, looked at the Chugach Sports and Solo Hunter is $1295 13'x54" and an 1000 payload were the Kodiak is $1595 and 15'x54" with a 1200 pound payload. At $1795 the Moose is 18'x56" and 1500 pound payload. a 550+ quad is pushing $3500 so if I buy the Moose I'm still at 50%. It is an interesting idea for a few years and I would look at getting a 5HP outboard and then the oars as well. Anyway - and interesting proposition for sure.

This year I did a couple trips using an Alpacka Raft pack raft, the forager has 1000lb rating. I actually just bit the bullet this week and purchased my own boat.

They aren't currently setup for use with a motor... but the Alpacka Raft forager is 13.5lbs not 95, we hiked up a drainage then over to the next valley and then out.

Loved reading these threads and I'll definitley look at those rafts! I saw a couple other raft options to, and am not firm on the brand but more just the general idea of Raft vs ATV for the next couple of years. I can do everything with the raft I could do - just not traveling as far and I'd be floating instead of driving.

I definitely like the lighter weight but if I don't have to haul it super far I'm ok with getting a heavier unit. Great points and great adventures!

I have an ATV but rarely use it hunting as I want to get away from the competition.
I Either fly in or use a jet boat/canoe.
By using a canoe to get over log jams and beaver dams, I rarely see or hear other hunters.
I like a small 16 foot jet boat so when I get stuck, I can get unstuck soloScout_canoe.JPG by prying the boat.

I have accessed hunting by each method mentioned, also by pack horse. It is all good!
If i was on more then an acre - I would do horses or Llamas. I have wanted horses ever since I was a kid - as a kid when my parents needed me to 'sit still' they would put me on an old bouncy horse and turn on the Man from Snowy River ... I still love horses though i have little to no experience with them. Someday I hope to be in a situation to have a couple and that is how I will hunt 100%.
But for now I'm stuck with either an ATV or raft. Currently I have my feet and a Snow Machine - So I'm good for winter hunting but for the early season I wanted to find a way to get out farther then the average guy is willing to go.

I have an ATV but rarely use it hunting as I want to get away from the competition.
I Either fly in or use a jet boat/canoe.
By using a canoe to get over log jams and beaver dams, I rarely see or hear other hunters.
I like a small 16 foot jet boat so when I get stuck, I can get unstuck soloView attachment 170039 by prying the boat.
I agree with the above statement. The jet boat/canoe is underrated. It is slow but I've made some long upriver trips in a canoe after running out of jet water.
The canoe is a great idea, and I was looking at one of the smaller canoes that you could even mount a prop to the end for just running around. But I feel like the greater stability and weight capability of the raft I think. I'm pretty inexperienced on the water, so I'm a little concerned about this route, but I may look into the Canoe idea a bit more. I can't do a Canoe and Jet Boat anytime soon.

The canoe is a great idea, and I was looking at one of the smaller canoes that you could even mount a prop to the end for just running around. But I feel like the greater stability and weight capability of the raft I think. I'm pretty inexperienced on the water, so I'm a little concerned about this route, but I may look into the Canoe idea a bit more. I can't do a Canoe and Jet Boat anytime soon.
Another option is a SOAR inflatable canoe which is more portable than a raft.
My hunting partner easily had a big bull moose, camp, and another hunter in his SOAR.

Another option is a SOAR inflatable canoe which is more portable than a raft.
My hunting partner easily had a big bull moose, camp, and another hunter in his SOAR.
awesome, I'll check that out too! I'm not too picky right now - more budget oriented. I need to find a way to get away from everyone and this year I'm going to be on very limited time and my budget is going to be minimal. I'm not afraid to walk but obviously for a moose you need to still be smart.

Thanks guys keep up the suggestions, etc that you guys have!

An awful lot of work gets done with a 16to18 foot Lowe or similar jet boat. They are not as tough as a North River or a Wooldridge but as was noted you can unstuck by yourself.

Boats/motors are expensive in Alaska unless you buy used.
I payed $15k for a new 16-footer with tunnel hull and 60-HP four stroke in 2008 (jet/prop).
Yeah, and my budget is going to be the $1500-$3000 range - which is why with the current prices after last year on used quads I started looking around and then discovered the rafts. I know a couple of guys who use rafts to access their sheep hunt annually so I'm going to talk with them some more and I know guys use boats to get to places for moose and bear. Thought the raft might be a ticket to get out farther.

So, just a thought for down the road. When you start to look at power boats consider a power drifter. I’ve thousands of hours running jet boats in western Alaska the boat that most intrigued me currently are the new crop of powerdrifters, a reasonable cross between a drift boat and a sled. They row much better then a John boat run slower than a 22 foot/250 horse North River. They are the pointing Lab of jet boats.
In my opinion a great boat for Alaska.
Good luck with your search, maintain your budget and plan for the future.

So, just a thought for down the road. When you start to look at power boats consider a power drifter. I’ve thousands of hours running jet boats in western Alaska the boat that most intrigued me currently are the new crop of powerdrifters, a reasonable cross between a drift boat and a sled. They row much better then a John boat run slower than a 22 foot/250 horse North River. They are the pointing Lab of jet boats.
In my opinion a great boat for Alaska.
Good luck with your search, maintain your budget and plan for the future.
Thank you very much!
That is my goal - last year I blew my budget getting ready for my backpack sheep hunt and it has definitely backfired in non cataclysmic but problematic ways.
I want to find a good option that keeps me within my means. Thanks again for this advice Salmon - you and everybody else! Good luck this year!

Yeah, and my budget is going to be the $1500-$3000 range - which is why with the current prices after last year on used quads I started looking around and then discovered the rafts. I know a couple of guys who use rafts to access their sheep hunt annually so I'm going to talk with them some more and I know guys use boats to get to places for moose and bear. Thought the raft might be a ticket to get out farther.
One advantage of a SOAR instead of a conventional raft is packability.
For sheep hunting, look at pack rafts....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back