Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

If there were a North American Big Five.

Ok, African Big Five has all dangerous game and three are non-meat-eaters. The only two prey species in North America that seem to be potential man-killers are 1. American buffalo and 2. bull moose so we need three predators also.

1. American buffalo
2. bull moose
3. grizzly bear
4. timber wolf
5. cougar

The griz and American buff might be as aggressive as a Cape buff, a bull rhino or a bull tuskers. An aggressive bull moose can gore a man to death. The solitary cougar might not be quite as fierce as the solitary leopard. A pack of wolves might be as deadly as a pride of lions.

A BIG FIVE list could be compiled upon:

1. species size or enormity
2. animal's power or strength
3. animal's majesty or nobility
4. expense or difficulty in hunting
5. aggressiveness or danger

We have no pachyderms in the New World.
Bull moose are very rarely dangerous. Cow moose are commonly VERY dangerous. Wolves? Unless they are starving or habituated, they're not dangerous even in a pack. The dangerous cougars are typically young ones kicked out with no territory of their own. Again, they're often also habituated. Hunting cougars is not scary. Like shooting fish in a barrel isn't scary. Buffalo at Yellowstone kill people almost every year because they are habituated and the people they kill are stupid. "Hunting" bison, with two notable exceptions, is usually driving out next to them, get out and shoot a habituated standing animal. Anything that's habituated is not wild and if not wild doesn't deserve to be on any list of honor for dangerous hunting.

Last edited:
Red Squirrel
Pine Squirrel
Gray Squirrel
Fox Squirrel
Tassel-eared Squirrel
Gotta add this booner to the bunch, Delmarva fox squirrels. Up the 3 pounds, hopefully they’ll get a season back one of these days!

Musk ox
Bison
Brown bear, or polar
Wolf
Moose

Elk would be on the list, but can't logic an elk knocking anything off my list to be honest

Elk has to be on any North American Big Five. Not a question. A wounded bull charged and killed a hunter in my home unit here in Oregon very recently.

QQ

Elk has to be on any North American Big Five. Not a question. A wounded bull charged and killed a hunter in my home unit here in Oregon very recently.

QQ
Wild boars have been known to do the same, does that mean they should be on the list?

I'm just saying, most wildlife have at least one kill on record....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back