Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho's Unit 21 and 28

Brian Olson

Howdy, I posted this on another site and someone mentioned that this may be a better place to put it (more ID hunters).

As the results of various draws are released, the possibilities of where to go hunting this fall diminish. As w/ several of you, our fate for this coming fall now lies in the hands of NM's and Cali's draws. W/ poor odds in each of these states (at least for the hunts we applied for), back-up plans are working their way to the forefront. LOL. At the beginining of the year, a couple of the guys in our group expressed an interest in hunting ID if all other plans failed. Not looking for a monster bull, they were more interested in seeing new country than visiting old stomping grounds.

Anyways, we have settled on the unit 21 and 28 country in the Shoup/N Fork area. Was hoping to get your guys take on Elk behavior in this area(perhaps one or two of ya have hunted this neck of the woods). Sounds like it's some pretty rough country in some spots. How much pressure should be expected? What's the weather like in mid-late oct(temps? snow? Road cond?)? Are the elk gonna move to certain areas w/ the progression of the season? Are elk still vocal on the opener? Any suggestions/techniques for hunting this area? Is it worth it to buy a deer tag as well?

Trying to get a handle on this hunt, so we can be prepared both mentally and physically. Any advice is appreciated. Use of PM's is encouraged. Thanks a bunch, Brian.

I've hunted these units each of the last two years. Yep, the country is steep and there are quite a few hunters in the areas that I've hunted. But, like most anywhere else if you're willing to work a bit you can get away from them. Weather is great IMO, anywhere from 50's to below freezing and snow is a definite possibility. We have heard bulls bugling on the opener, but haven't been able to get them to call back. The deer are in the area and we've seen a few nice ones (ie 24-26" 4pts) but no real monsters.

I went up there for the first time last year. Snow can be bad or the heat can be bad. The first time may be simply learning how to avoid the other hunters. Fair amount of horse hunters day tripping out of trailheads. Both the elk and deer move easily up the side of the mountain and back down as the temperature changes. I was somewhat surprised by the realtively few elk that had actually been checked by the time I went through but the checker that it was about normal. I guess a lot of people went home with only track soup.

As said, you may see a lot of small deer. The big deer don't get big by being where they get seen a lot. The last day I was there I began to see big deer but I was not interested in packing out a deer.

When it rains some of the high moutnain roads get too slick for even four wheel drive but will dry in a few hours if it quits raining. But rain it does. Some guys fromn California ahd to shovel their way out through the snow in September being as it was too deep for their truck to push through. Check the forest fie status to make sure things are OK where ever you are going.

Interesting point is the steelhead run begins about the same time as elk season.

This is a road closure area ( or what ever it is called) so you will be restricited to the goat tracts that they call main dirt roads.

I went up there for the first time last year. Snow can be bad or the heat can be bad. The first time may be simply learning how to avoid the other hunters. Fair amount of horse hunters day tripping out of trailheads. Both the elk and deer move easily up the side of the mountain and back down as the temperature changes. I was somewhat surprised by the realtively few elk that had actually been checked by the time I went through but the checker said that it was about normal. I guess a lot of people went home with only track soup.

As said, you may see a lot of small deer. The big deer don't get big by being where they get seen a lot. The last day I was there I began to see big deer but I was not interested in packing out a deer.

When it rains some of the high mountain roads get too slick for even four wheel drive but will dry in a few hours if it quits raining. But rain it does. Some guys from California had to shovel their way out through the snow in September being as it was too deep for their truck to push through. Check the forest fire status to make sure things are OK where ever you are going.

Interesting point is the steelhead run begins about the same time as elk season.

This is a road closure area ( or what ever it is called) so you will be restricted to the goat tracts that they call main dirt roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Montana WSF
Back