Idaho

elkrack6x6

I am a resident of Arizona who has gotten approval from the wife to possibly relocate. I have always been impressed with Idaho's apparent hunting and fishing opportunities that I have seen not only on the web but the occasional video as well. I am a dedicated outdoorsman who prefers archery hunting over all. I have been "spot and stalk" mule deer hunting since age 17, and been involved with many archery elk hunts (mostly calling), although only been lucky enough to get drawn (elk) twice myself. Which brings me to the reason I have asked for your time and opinions. I know first impression of non-residents even the ones that relocate, come to the state you love and hunt as I have had to adapt to the enormous migration of mostly Californians here in Phoenix. Some are respectful while others could use an ass whooping. I assure you that I am the respectful type. My major questions involve not only hunting and fishing, but the opportunity to raise a healthy family and be financially secure. Here's a few, and you don't have to answer them all but any information is greatly appreciated. 1. Does the archery elk hunt in Idaho fall in the rut to where calling/bugling is useful? 2. How easy is it to get drawn for a quality archery elk hunt? 3. How about the quality as well as availablity of other quality big game hunts (mule deer, antelope, etc) 4. I am a CNC machinest/programmer in the manufacurting of aerospce componentes, is there any industry there to make it easy enough for a hard working individaul to make a decent living? 5. Cost/quality of living? Arizona is great, but it will never be the same as when I was growing up due to the major migration of people. It gets harder and harder every year to draw a good tag and soon will be next to impossible. Not to mention the severe drought and declining mule deer populations. Any inforamtion is sincerely apprecated.

Mike
[email protected]

I like the fact that question #1 is about calling Elk.... while it is not until #4 that you worry about being able to find a job.... A man has to have his priorities....

#1 is a funny answer, as every year, everybody comes back and says the Elk aren't bugling this year during Archery season because: a) it is too cold, b) it is too dry, C) it is too wet, d) it is too warm, E) too many wolves, F)too many hunters....etc.. etc...

As for #2, check the regs, but for the most part, you can hunt archery for branch antlered bulls every year. That may not be the same as a quality hunt, as I am not sure Idaho has "quality" Elk hunting. We have dang good hunting, but I don't know that anybody goes to Idaho for the "Quality" hunting. We have some units that have "Quality" mule deer, and they are hard to draw, but the "Quality" elk units are not as common.

#3 Idaho has good deer (Mulies and Whiteys) and it is easy to have a good tag each year for them. Then it is just a matter of doing your homework and/or busting your butt more than the next guy. Antelope in Idaho is an afterthought. Not many tags for bucks, not many awesome animals. Much better states for Antelopes.

#4 There is always opportunity for hard working individuals to make a decent living. That being said, I don't know if you will find lots of large shops needing machinests. Most of the shops here are smaller job shops, from my limited knowledge. But, since you only need one job, then you only need one to have an opening. My guess is you will be shocked at the low wages compared to what you are making in Aerospace, but that is just a hunch.

#5 Quality of living is going down hill every year, Cost of living here is going up every year. We are getting too many Californians, Arizonanas, Oregonians, and Washingtonians...

All things considered, you would be far better off to move to Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming... :D

Originally posted by ElkGunner:
We are getting too many Californians, Arizonanas, Oregonians, and Washingtonians...

All things considered, you would be far better off to move to Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming... :D
Well you dont get enough CNC Machinists from Ohio though. :D

Elkrack6x6,Welcome to Hunt Talk.
Good question's.
We have lived in Southern California , Southern Utah and Grant's Pass Oregon, then moved here about 25 year's ago.
Some quick bacis answers to your question's ,
1.Archery hunt's are usually druing the rut.
Like anyplace you hunt ,sometimes they are bugling & sometimes they arent.
But they all rut so figuring out what call will bring them is the trick.
We see more elk then we get close enough to shoot.But we are still learning. LOL
2.Most of the people I know that archery hunt get over the counter tag's.
3.The muledeer don't come close to what you have right now and I know other state's that would be my choice if it was ONLY about hunting.
There are still some good ones out there,we need to work on Fish & Game to think more about Muledeer /not only about Elk.

4.The machinest trade --- both my husband & son are machinest,and while the pay isnt what they would get in some state's it has been real good to our family's.
For us Idaho has been the best place.
Decent job's,good place to raie a family,lot's of thing's to do even if you aren't into hunting (good for people that have non-hunting family member's.)
Short drive to good hunting or any other outdoor stuff you like to do.
We live in the Meridain ,right outside of Boise.
It's grown ALOT,but I think it still has a nice friendly feel.(Some depending on what side of the treehugger fence you sit on).
I meet quite a few women that have moved here with there husbands (because the husband hunt's) and the women really like it.
Good Luck & Great Hunting.

Welcome to Hunttalk Elktrack..Glad your here, I'm sorry I can't help you on this one, I don't personally know any Machinests. Except those that frequent this board....

Thank you all for the input as well as the honesty. I have been on a few forums and most get into pissing contests with one another. This one is nothing like that and I am impressed by the diversity as well as the camaraderie among most of you. I hope to be part of that more in the future and look forward to talking again, maybe might even see you in the Idaho hills one day.

Here is the highest paying job.
Job Title: Machinist/ CNC Operator
Job Description: Will operate CNC mill and lathe. Requires programming,G-Code and Fanuck Control experience-no exceptions!Must have at least 5 years experience as a machinist and be able to pass a criminal background check. Pay is $14.30 per hour.Associates degree or college certificate preferred.Requires a GED or high school diploma.Must be age 18 due to industry standards.
Minimum Experience: 60 months
Hours Per Week: 40
Duration: F/T over 150 days
Salary: $14.30 Hr.

Thats a really low paying machinist job, they should be bringing in more than that, right? I remember when I was in machine shop class in high school we had a pretty rosy picture painted for us on the machinist job market and pay.

$14.30 hr is considered entry level here, but there I think I would be happy to get my foot in the door with that pay. I've worked for 3 or 4 machine shops and allways seem to end up a key player in the buisness and I'm sure the money would eventually get better with hard work. Besides, it seems a small price to pay for what I need in the soul. However when I gave my wife this information, I had to help pick her jaw up off the floor. She will come around. Supersider34 has went out of his way for me if only just a little, but that to me stands out as being genuine. Thanks sider. I hope to eventually get the story on that buck your sportin' too. Haven't seen one that big in a long while, and even then never got close enough to stick one. Awsome.

Elkrack no prob on helping you out. You asked a question so figured you wanted it answered. I will help out if I can. But here are some more if you need them to get an idea. Only thing is the cost of living in this area on the first one is high. I just put Soffit & Fascia on a rental house there between Hailey and Bellevue and they where paying $1150/month. But the house I rent here in Jerome is a 4 bedroom 3 bath for $550 /month. Can't buy a house when self employed. I can buy cars and everything else but not a house loan. Others here can give you ideas on rent in there areas. But here is another link and will post a couple more for you.
In Bellevue area....
Idaho Job Number: ID1104975
Job Title: Machinists
Job Description: JOURNEYMAN LEVEL MACHINIST NEEDED. COMFORTABLE WORK ENVIRONMENT USING STATE OF THE ART MACHINERY. BUILDING, CHALLENGING `ONE OFF` TOOLING PROJECTS, PROTOTYPE AND R & D WORK FOR PLASTIC INJECTION MOLDING COMPANY. CNC MILLING EXPERIENCE A MUST. ALSO PREFER THE FOLLOWING BUT IS NOT A NECESSITY: EXPERIENCE WITH MASTERCAM, 3D PROFILE MACHINING. UNDERSTANDING OF TOOLING ALLOYS. GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF BASIC PHYSICS AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING. PAY WILL BE $13.00-$20.00 PER HR DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE.
Minimum Experience: 60 months
Salary: $13.00 Hr.

This one Boise....
Idaho Job Number: ID1094331
Job Title: Machinist
Job Description: AceCo Precision Manufacturing is hiring for a well experienced manual machinist with some CNC training. Only prospects with manual mill and lathe experience should apply. AceCo is a stable 50 year old company that produces proprietary products, ranging from industrial knives to semiconductor equipment. Wages DOE. Insurance and 401K are offered benefits.
Minimum Experience: 24 months
Salary: $0.01 Hr.

Bonnersferry area
Idaho Job Number: ID1101775
Job Title: Machinist, Experienced
Job Description: MACHINIST MUST HAVE AT LEAST 4 YEARS REPAIR EXPERIENCE. REPAIRS & REPRODUCES MACHINE PRODUCTS AND PARTS. PAY IS $10.00+ DEPENDING ON SKILL LEVEL. JOB REQUIRES MILLING (CUTTING METAL) AND MACHINING. OPERATES MILLS, LATHES, JIG BORERS, GRINDER AND SHAPERS. MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM REPETITIVE `JOB SHOP` REPAIRS, BE MULTI-TASK ORIENTED AND ABLE TO SWITCH FROM ONE JOB TO ANOTHER DEPENDING ON CUSTOMER`S NEEDS AND EMERGENCY REPAIR SITUATIONS. HOURS WORKED PER WEEK WILL BE DISCUSSED WITH EMPLOYER AT TIME OF INTERVIEW. MAY NOT BE FULL TIME DEPENDING ON WORK LOAD. AGE 18 DUE TO LABOR LAWS. MUST HAVE VALID DRIVERS LICENSE.
Minimum Experience: 48 months
Hours Per Week: 20
Duration: P/T over 150 days
Salary: $10.00 Hr.

Nampa area......
Idaho Job Number: ID1102857
Job Title: Machinist/Millwright
Job Description: Experienced Machinist/Millwright needed to perform normal machine shop jobs, fabrication, mechanical installations, troubleshooting, & repairs. Requires knowledge of overall plant maintenance including plumbing, hydraulics, pneumatics, pipefitting, welding, & other machinist/millwright duties as required. Electrical knowledge is a plus. Pay $14.10-$17.15 per hour, doe + benefit package. Shifts available are 2nd shift from 3:30pm-12am & 3rd shift from 11pm-7:30am.
Minimum Experience: 12 months
Salary: $14.10 Hr.

Gooding area.......
Idaho Job Number: ID1104222
Job Title: Machinists
Job Description: Prefer appliant have certificate from gunsmithing school or have some experience as a gunsmith or a machinist background. Will build guns from start to finish -from the barrel to the action to the stock- to a completed finished product. Will use manual lathe, drill press, bead blaster. Will sand and oil stocks to finish. Will work 40 hrs per week. Hours will be between 7:30 am -6:00 pm Monday thru Friday.
Minimum Experience: 0 months
Salary: $9.00 Hr.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back