Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Wilderness facts

P. C.

While I am not a fan of atv's, I would never think to outlaw them. Let's decide where they can and can't go, and I'll go were they can't go. As for the death and injuries sustained by the atv riders, maybe it's just Mother Nature culling the herd. The problem here with outlawing everything is some day it will be your ox that is being goared. Lot's of people do not like my guns. Many don't like me shooting and eating fuzzy animals, some because they would prefer a butcher to do the dirty work, and others because they plain don't like me eating meat.

If you guys want to preseve every square inch of roadless area with some fancy, temporary designation, knock yourself out. I'm not going to spend all my political capital on a cause with zero percent chance of winning. I'll save my powder for battles that really matter, and ones that my efforts will make a difference. Like hunting and gun ownership rights.

This you can take to the bank. Come after my hunting and my guns, and I'm coming after you!

Paul

I meant to say there should be a law against there use on state and national forests.

Elkchasr,I'm not voting for anything in Wyoming,Idaho, or anywhere else,I'm exercising my right to free text by posting my opinion on the subject on this board
biggrin.gif
. I'm not dictating anything,only expressing my opinion,and I have 2 elbows too
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And I vote in my county and state elections,so I'm exercising my opinion here as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELKCHSR:

This is comming from some one that wants to help dictate from a far off place, this is the stuff that needs to start in your own back yard...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ ,I feel the same thing when it comes to the idiots in Washington DC and I mean ALL OF EM
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Well Fred, there are a mighty big bunch to dislike there, you can even pick favorite ones to not like or distrust...LOL!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

"To paraphrase the Wilderness Act, wilderness is an area where the forces of nature prevail, a place where man is a visitor who does not remain and whose works are substantially unnoticeable. It provides solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation. Many activities are prohibited, including the use of motorized or mechanical transportation."

While recreation can take place in wilderness, the spectrum of opportunities is limited. Recreation and wilderness have a shaky relationship, recreation being a primary threat to the integrity of the wilderness resource if it grows beyond very low levels. Some popular recreation activities are flatly prohibited, including bicycling, trail bike riding, and snowmobiling. Many management activities are also off-limits or severely curtailed, leaving managers a small toolbox from which to draw. Trails must be maintained with primitive tools. Prescribed fire must depend on random ignitions from lightning strikes. Insect and disease attacks are part of the natural system. Nature must freely roll the dice, or there can be no real wilderness as defined by the Wilderness Act.

Wilderness promoters would like us to believe that wilderness is the ultimate protection for the land. Without it, they say, the future of the Boulder-White Clouds is in jeopardy and the generations to come will be denied the incredible experiences we enjoy in these spectacular mountains. We concur that protection is essential, but wilderness designation is not the best way to accomplish that objective. Land managers currently have a full range of options from which to choose and the Forest Resource Management Plan is the best vehicle with which to make that choice. The qualities we value so highly in the Boulder-White Clouds are there because of good management under existing laws and plans developed by the Forest Service, with input and review by the public.
["Senator Frank Church wrote in the early 1970s, "The White Clouds offer a majestic mountain stage for outdoor recreation of singular quality." He was absolutely right and Idahoans have used this area in a responsible manner, proving that wilderness designation is not necessary to ensure the land will be protected for future generations."]
"The net results of wilderness designation could, in fact, result in loss of the things we cherish in these mountains. Devastation by insects, catastrophic fires, and other natural events are part of the wilderness condition. Endangered species and their habitats ebb and flow, depending on the roll of the dice. Mother Nature will be in control, and we should not lose sight of the fact that this mother's touch is never compassionate and rarely gentle.

In the Boulder-White Clouds we have a classic example of how wild, beautiful, and undeveloped backcountry can be shared for a mix of recreation opportunities, motorized and non-motorized. Some folks prefer to hike, others to bike, but regardless of how you travel, you'll never forget the experience. The imposition of an additional and unnecessary designation is foolhardy. Snowmobilers and other motorized recreationists have ridden these mountains for decades, yet the area still qualifies for wilderness. What better testimony could we offer as to the compatibility of these sports with these mountains? Management under current laws is working well, for the people, for the land and for the resources it supports. To change this winning formula to chalk up a few more wilderness acres for the green organizations would be risky and tragic.

There is no question about it; we need a final resolution to the roadless issue in Idaho. This 'every 20-year wilderness debate' is divisive and painful for all sides. But, as long as our political leaders embrace a piecemeal approach to the problem, there will be no end to the fight. Wilderness should be looked at on a statewide basis, taking into account the 4 million acres Idaho has already contributed to the National Wilderness System. We need to consider whether our nation needs more wildernesses, let alone whether or not there are compelling reasons to designate additional areas in Idaho. The truth is, we are not doing a very good job of managing the wilderness we already have. Every facet of wilderness management has been on a downhill slide since the early 1980s."

Im glad we now have wilderness area's,but don't want more placed under this most restrictive designation.
Same can be said for MOST parts of the Owyhee's.

MD,

Where did you "cut and paste" that opinion from? Is it from the same group that placed the "Stop sign" advertisments in the Idaho papers this week? You probably should at least post the reference information, when posting. Who knows, it may be from the "Compasionate Spirt" website....
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

And the spelling was much better than yours'
wink.gif

I don't follow the Bould-White Clouds issues, but is there some event about to happen, where it is this anti-environment organization had to run their media campaign this week?

elkgrin.gif
er

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> And the spelling was much better than yours' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
advertisments, 'advertisements'
Compasionate , 'Compassionate
Spirt , 'Spirit'

Before one throws stones, they should not be inside the glass house...
And you don't misspell anything!!!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

LOL yeah russ and we already know elkgunner lives in a glass house,I think thats why he and Ithaca have so much in common
wink.gif
wink.gif

Sorry elkgunner ,I was sure everyone would know I didnt write that
biggrin.gif
http://www.idahosnowbiz.com/newsjan03.htm
There you go.
I should tell you I dont own a snowmachine ,and don't plan on buying one.
I do support other people that want to ride them.
I couldnt find the one from the paper
wink.gif
wink.gif
I not only cant spell ,Im pretty stupid on the computer.

Sorry Elkgunner,I must have the shakes I didnt mean to post twice
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

To many Latte's or going through ATV withdrawal
wink.gif
wink.gif

"The Idaho State Snowmobile Association
is a proud member and supporter of
the following organizations:

THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!!!!!!!

ACSA, ISMA"

The BRC is a proud member of the Wise Use Movement.

"The initial association with Rev. Sun Myong Moon's American Freedom Coalition set the tone for the Wise Use Movement's place in the political spectrum. Wise Use appeals to the same elements of regressive populism as the John Birch Society, the Liberty Lobby, Lyndon LaRouche's followers, anti-Indian activists, and other denizens of the far right......"

http://nwcitizen.com/publicgood/reports/wuinps/append7.htm

"...Wise Use groups, particularly those that take on issues involving Native-American tribes and nations, frequently are joined in these attacks by racist and white supremacist organizations...These groups were only two of several alliances of white supremacists, religious extremists and tax-resisters which evolved into the so-called "militia movement."

The central concepts of the militia are "preparedness", opposition to gun control laws and a belief that the United States either has been or soon will be invaded by foreign troops acting on behalf of a "New World Order conspiracy."...

MD4M, Thanks for the link! What a bunch of wackos!!! The ARYAN NATIONS and the KKK!

".....To these fascist elements were added a more mass base drawn from "wise use" anti-environmental forces ....Movements and groups:
CHRISTIAN IDENTITY
ARYAN NATIONS
SCRIPTURES FOR AMERICA
JUBILEE
THE ORDER
KU KLUX KLAN
CHRISTIAN PATRIOTS
POLICE AGAINST THE NEW WORLD ORDER
S.P.I.K.E.
STATE CITIZENSHIP SOVEREIGNTY
CHRISTIAN RIGHT
FREE MILITIA OF WISCONSIN
U.S. TAXPAYERS PARTY
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
CHRISTIAN RE-CONSTRUCTIONISTS
OPERATION RESCUE
RESCUE AMERICA

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-18-2003 23:40: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Damn Ithaca,I guess that proves it.
Im a Racist with white supremacst ties becaue I support the blue ribbon coalition and want some access let open.

So that makes you what?
An anti with ties to the anti-meat eating veg. groups? After all you did post the link to http://www.compassionatespirit.com/index.htm

I guess you could go back to the "I posted it because of the book report"
Then I should use "I support it because of the access issues "(and the picture's )LOL

Now what a site that would be (The outlaw granny riding an ATV down the street to gather up a VIGILANTE POSSE )ROFLMAO

MD4M, I learned from you that any link to any other group---no matter how tenuous--proves the poster is guilty. So, as you admit, you are a neo-nazi Ku Klux Klanner. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for educating us all about that!
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

I don't know the source, I heard this some 15 plus years ago on the radio, but every one in the U.S. is only three times removed from knowing every one else in the U.S.
I would almost guess that it has even tightend up to less of a % since the advent of the Internet.
This is just a little tidbit of info that I thought the two of you needed to hear!!!
The whistle to my tea is going so no more wisdom and soap box...LOL!!!
wink.gif

TEA? Dang Elkcher,What next ? your going to tell us you had crumpit's and a crescent with your tea?
wink.gif
wink.gif

Back