Idaho whitetails

Oneye

A few months ago I posted about Montana whitetails, now I've also been looking into Hunting Idaho for whitetails. I have never hunted whitetails yet and would like to hunt on public ground when I do go hunt because I'd don't really have the money to pay high access fees. I'm not looking for a monster buck or anything I would just like the experience of hunting and hopefully getting a whitetail buck on public land. I was just wondering exactly how Idaho works. Do you only have to purchase a deer tag, or do you need a hunting license as well in order to purchase a deer tag? Also I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or info on what units or areas have a public lands in Idaho with whitetails on them. PM me if you would rather do that, I'm just looking into it trying to learn more about it, I appreciate anyone's help that offers it up, thank you.

Buy the tag and the license and go hunt. Do you have a boat? If so, go check out Dworshak Reservoir. Lots of public land north of the Clearwater River and lots of whitetails to go with it.

Buy the tag and the license and go hunt. Do you have a boat? If so, go check out Dworshak Reservoir. Lots of public land north of the Clearwater River and lots of whitetails to go with it.
I'd love to try a boat based hunt there in the rut. I think it would be great!

I'd love to try a boat based hunt there in the rut. I think it would be great!

Just make sure you use chain to anchor your boat. If you use rope, the wolves will chew it in half and drive your boat off.:)

Just make sure you use chain to anchor your boat. If you use rope, the wolves will chew it in half and drive your boat off.:)
I'd first have to have a boat. I MAY be able to afford the chain...

I hunted that country once for whitetails. My experience here in IN made me think one needed to be there for the opener as here that first day is THE best day to shoot one. Warm, rainy weather made for very few deer sightings and only one buck. Next time I go I'm awaiting the rut.

Oneeye:
Did you get the information you were looking for? As a Utah resident I was also looking into hunting whitetails for the first time and possibly extending my hunting season. I found South Dakota as an excellent option. You can draw a whitetail tag in the Black Hills about every other year and there is plenty of public land. I just back last week and had a great time. I didnt shoot anything huge, but I can't wait to go back. The South Dakota Fish and Game couldn't be easier and the tag cost less than $300.

Oneeye:
Did you get the information you were looking for? As a Utah resident I was also looking into hunting whitetails for the first time and possibly extending my hunting season. I found South Dakota as an excellent option. You can draw a whitetail tag in the Black Hills about every other year and there is plenty of public land. I just back last week and had a great time. I didnt shoot anything huge, but I can't wait to go back. The South Dakota Fish and Game couldn't be easier and the tag cost less than $300.

I would look at the black hills in Wyoming as well as a chance to hunt them.

Nebraska is a solid option as well. Tags are ~$200 and the month long December smoke pole with over the counter tags would be a great option as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back