PEAX Equipment

Idaho unit 73

Preston.W_HDO

Long story short, my NR buddies didn’t draw I did.

I personally don’t like hunting solo. Maybe I like the company, maybe I like a second opinion on hunts, maybe I like a second pair of eyes or maybe I’m scared? 🤣

Headed in on the 8th with tent and stove. Have a good area to go to. Plan to find one the 8th night or 9th morning and sit on him/them for the opener.

Let me know, I have 3 bull hunts and 2 deer hunts so I’ll be scouting a lot to get it done fairly quick.
9C006974-07A1-40A6-9A73-557465B001DF.jpeg

Non Resident here hunting the same Unit. I have put in a lot of work prescouting. I am foregoing my elk hunt and scouting for this hunt. I will be going up the first weekend in September to put eyes on areas I like and will try to get up the weekend before the opener to locate some bucks. I will be arriving for the hunt the same time as you but spending 10 days. I will also be solo so would not meeting up and would certainly help you carry something out. I hunt idaho every year. This will hopefully be my first mule deer.

Good luck to both of you. 73 isn't the same as it once was. Way over hunted and poorly managed. This is the first year in 27 years that I won't be hunting deer in 73. Honestly they need to make it a full draw for residents too and really cut back the number of tags.

Good luck to both of you. 73 isn't the same as it once was. Way over hunted and poorly managed. This is the first year in 27 years that I won't be hunting deer in 73. Honestly they need to make it a full draw for residents too and really cut back the number of tags.
I hunt units that are some of the “worst” while building points in other states and It always exceeds my expectations. Maybe because it I have low expectations, or maybe because I can find areas where other hunters are absent. I know that there are historically good genetics, that the average hunter per square mile is less than most of the otc tags, and that the unit is recovering from of the hard winters it had. Like I said this will be my first mule deer if successful. Last year I hunted 64 (considered trash) in Wyoming saw plenty bucks and passed on them all. Shot a whitetail on my last hour. I am looking towards this hunt and will be surprised if it does not exceed my expectations of giving me a shot opportunity on mature buck.

I hope it does exceed your expectations. I didn't mean to come across as it being a terrible unit, there are some really good deer there, but it has gotten really overcrowded the last couple of years. I'm sure if you spend 10 days there you will be succesful. I live in 73 if you need any questions answered or help on a packout let me know.

Where are you coming from?

I hunt units that are some of the “worst” while building points in other states and It always exceeds my expectations. Maybe because it I have low expectations, or maybe because I can find areas where other hunters are absent. I know that there are historically good genetics, that the average hunter per square mile is less than most of the otc tags, and that the unit is recovering from of the hard winters it had. Like I said this will be my first mule deer if successful. Last year I hunted 64 (considered trash) in Wyoming saw plenty bucks and passed on them all. Shot a whitetail on my last hour. I am looking towards this hunt and will be surprised if it does not exceed my expectations of giving me a shot opportunity on mature buck.
Good luck on your hunt!

Is that an Idaho wolf in your avatar photo?

I hope it does exceed your expectations. I didn't mean to come across as it being a terrible unit, there are some really good deer there, but it has gotten really overcrowded the last couple of years. I'm sure if you spend 10 days there you will be succesful. I live in 73 if you need any questions answered or help on a packout let me know.

Good luck on your hunt!

Is that an Idaho wolf in your avatar photo?

Coming all the way from Miami, Florida. I definitely think it is going to be a challenge to get a away from people. After I get back from scouting you alert September I am sure I will have some questions for you. Thanks so much!

The southern units aren’t what they once was. Even unit 70 has been disappointing. Too many tags and it’s not patrolled enough by F/G. Many times I’ve heard of locals hunting it with a Gen tag.

I normally hunt 73a but man it’s been so over hunted lately. I usually always see a 170+ buck and I haven’t seen one cross the 150 line in 3 years.

73 will be a bit of an experience. I’ve got some private access and some local insight. Hopefully it’ll workout

Non Resident here hunting the same Unit. I have put in a lot of work prescouting. I am foregoing my elk hunt and scouting for this hunt. I will be going up the first weekend in September to put eyes on areas I like and will try to get up the weekend before the opener to locate some bucks. I will be arriving for the hunt the same time as you but spending 10 days. I will also be solo so would not meeting up and would certainly help you carry something out. I hunt idaho every year. This will hopefully be my first mule deer.
Looks like it won’t let me pm you. May have to wait a couple days for your permissions to come up

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back