Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Unit 50 Late Season Whitetail Hunt

Tips n Tails

Hey folks,

Hope everyone is closing out 2019 as a great hunting year. My dad & I have late season elk tags for unit 50 therefore, while I was up there hunting I figured I might as well have a deer tag in my back pocket.

After reading IDFGs regs, I see there is not an overlapping mule deer hunt for unit 50 but there is one for whitetail (either sex) Nov 10 - Dec 9. Has anyone done this hunt before?

I’m still waiting to hear back from the wildlife biologist but in the meantime, I figured I’m probably not the only one who’s contemplated/done this hunt before.

It’s not lost on me that the majority of whitetails reside in the Panhandle but switching units isn’t feasible. I appreciate your feedback gents!

I don’t think it’s going to be easy spotting a whitetail off private but I’ve only spent a few days scouting and hunting around unit 50. I think I’ve seen whitetail on the private in the bottoms if I recall. Many of the bottom type places I’d look for whitetail aren’t public.

If you have a Pioneer B tag for 2020, feel free to PM. I would be less helpful if you’re looking at mid winter hunting on an extra tag or something like that.

I don’t think it’s going to be easy spotting a whitetail off private but I’ve only spent a few days scouting and hunting around unit 50. I think I’ve seen whitetail on the private in the bottoms if I recall. Many of the bottom type places I’d look for whitetail aren’t public.

If you have a Pioneer B tag for 2020, feel free to PM. I would be less helpful if you’re looking at mid winter hunting on an extra tag or something like that.

PM sent sir. For clarity sake, I dont have a deer tag yet as our primary goal is elk. Just wanted to test the waters on the practicality of there being whitetail around prior to spending $302.

I have spent a lot of time in that unit. I have seen many on the private land near the river but none yet on public. I am sure there are whitetails somewhere on public but not enough to buy a whitetail only tag. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thank you archerynut21 for the reply. I don’t suppose that private land was located between Mackay and Chilly was it? Worse case scenario I figured I could go knock on doors, hat in hand, & respectfully ask for permission.

What you’re planning—finding white tails and/or getting permission—is likely to be significantly harder than shooting a mule deer. Not sure why so much interest in whitetail in a predominantly mule deer area.

Back