Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Idaho - Unit 45 Cows

ida homer

I'm thinking about putting my brother in for one of the cow hunts in 45. He has had good success in the weiser river zone for meat, but we want to switch it up for a new challenge and something closer to where he lives. The only experience I have is chasing antelope in the unit for 5 or 6 days last fall.

What I'm curious about is if there is enough elk on public land to justify putting in for it. Obviously there is the whole Bennett Mountain issue and all of the private surrounding that. There is not very much timber at all on public land in the unit via my pass through on Google Earth.

I'm definitely not looking for spots, so please don't send me any. But more so a Yes or a No from some of you experienced guys that hunt the Bennett Zone. I will be scouting the unit before the app period ends on June 5th. Thanks in advance for any replies!

just from previous experience hunting on Bennett Mountain land owners were generally pretty easy going about letting us access the public ground just traveling through their land

Hunted Weiser Zone about 20+ years ago before we moved over to 32/32A. Had good luck on cows, but that was back then. Maybe we should go back? Meeting this weekend to see if we are going to move back over to 51. Hard to draw, but we aren't getting any younger either so now would be the time if we are going to do it?

There's gotta be some elk on the public in there. With the unit's reputation and the draw odds for the bull/buck tags, it's not like everyone is getting permission on the big ranch. Time to go for a hike in a couple weeks.

Back