Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Unit 39

muley chaser

Has anyone hunted 39 off of the road between horshoe bend and banks? I'm wondering if there are roads in there because i've yet to find a area that is remote enough to get away from all the idiots that seem to come out of the woodwork and drive around madly on atv's. My hunting season this year might consist of hunting several so i just wanted to get some conversation going with some idaho guys about places to try. if you need any help with units 22, 32a and the boise front of 39. i'd love to trade stories/advice! thanks and happy hunting

Always wanted to try it but never have, usually hunt 39 on the late season bow tag good luck I'm sure you'll find something up there!

I always mean to take that drive but haven't managed to yet. Seems like I end up in the drainage I know a little bit. Bet they're there though, along with all the atvs and pickups.

Not bad if I can get just a mile away from vehicle roads. Might still see people but they're hunting too, not participating in the atv parade. Besides all that traffic moves critters around. If I'm where I want to be at daylight, they come to me a lot of the time.

During the late bow hunt it's an awesome hunt I mean you see a 100 deer a day but a lot of people still, at least they can't shoot an arrow as far

Anywhere within an hour or two of boise tends to be crowded. There are roads where you are wanting to go too.

Porter creek is a joke. The only other 2 turnouts that I can remember off the top of my head right off the highway always have rigs parked at them, at all times of the year.

I would look at other units. Unless you go into the wilderness parts of 39, there is good stuff in there. Anywhere near the valley is comical.

all the big bucks and bulls were killed years ago. The few animals that remained have been eaten by the wolves.

39 is where you go to lose all faith in hunting... the idiots are like rats up there. Ill probably never hunt deer in that unit again. If you are willing to hike out several miles, you can get away from people. I'll do it for elk, but there are several other areas I'd hunt first for deer. if you're talking about porter creek road, I hunt the area for bear. I hear it's completely crazy during deer season up there, and it's a relatively small area before it turns to unit 33. I hope this sheds some light on the unit. Good luck out there and wear tons of orange!

I think fish and game needs to put 39 into an all draw unit, lol that pry will fire up some guys I understand that it's so close to Boise and a place to get in a quick hunt but in all honesty it's just dangerous to hunt in some spots

Too, too, many people in easy to reach area. Sad to say, something bad is going to happen sooner than later. Too many folks hunting as a first hunt, stay up all night drinking and end up shooting the first thing they see move in the morning. JMHO and why I will not/do not hunt in my backyard.

Sorry for the rant, but I spent part of yesterday cleaning up around some of the campsites at Horsethief Reservoir. What a pig pen. Just so damn many entitled folks ruining places like this owned by the IDFG and they are and will get fewer.

I think fish and game needs to put 39 into an all draw unit, lol that pry will fire up some guys I understand that it's so close to Boise and a place to get in a quick hunt but in all honesty it's just dangerous to hunt in some spots

Where do you think all of the displaced hunters will go?

Where should they go????? Damn good question!

For the most part this area is in a sad state of affairs from what I have seen every year (that I don't tag out) when I have gone up thinking I could get in a quick day hunt by getting 1-2 miles away from roads. Dispersed camping areas are pig sties, trash and crap (literally) everywhere. WTF are people thinking, or not? Just how they grew up? You are welcome to correct me if I am wrong, but this chit just gets my gourd when I end up feeling it is my duty as a sportsman to clean it up.

I am by no means a neat freak. Just ask my wife.

Where do you think all of the displaced hunters will go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back