Idaho Unit 27-2 bighorn sheep

PCrocker

My buddy and I both drew bighorn sheep tags in Idaho unit 27-2 for this year. He drew a couple years ago and we hunted but saw no rams. Just wondering if anyone out there has hunted it recently or knows someone who has knowledge or advice for us. Thanks

I have no info but did you say your buddy has drawn two sheep tags in the space of a couple of years????

Yes he drew, hunted, waited 2 years and drew again. Lucky
Wow. That’s incredible. There are definitely some people on here with some experience in that country. I’m sure someone here will speak up. You might also consider joining the Huntin’ Fool. I’m not a paid endorser or anything but they do have a member draw database that’s pretty extensive. You’ll get some quality info from past tag holders, I’m guessing. Best of luck and let us know how it goes. What an amazing experience you two will have!

Congrats on the tags....Love that place. Hate that place. :) My info is dated, but may still be of value.

This will get you fired up.
View attachment 108109

Anyone with a 27-2 tag needs to find/read T Bone’s stories about his hunt and his buddy’s hunt. If they had been in paperback form when I had the tag, I would have worn them out. The area took a toll on me, physically and mentally, and I left it without a sheep, vowing that I would never do something like that again.

After a month or two, the pain of the hunt faded and I started planning on how I could make things better on the next trip. One of the things that still stung was the memory of how my 9.5 pound rifle felt like an anchor as we trudged through 12-15” of snow back to the Crags trailhead and later when we climbed from the river. T Bone’s choice of a Remington 700 Ti started making a lot of sense.

A couple years later, in a local gun store, I found a discontinued 700 Ti with a non-closeout (more like collector) price tag. For whatever reason, the rifle didn’t move and I wound up getting it for a decent price a few years later. If I were to go back to 27-2, that is the rifle I would take. That country is brutal and I think the more gear weight you can shed, the better.

I had one long trip planned. If I were doing it again, I would plan on more time but break it up into at least two trips.

FYI, the road from the Crags Campground can get pretty interesting with a lot of snow. We found that out in mid-September. Also, later in the hunt, we located what could have been a rattlesnake sanctuary when we accessed the unit by crossing the main Salmon. Even though I did not get a ram, I still value the memories of my time there.

Anyone with a 27-2 tag needs to find/read T Bone’s stories about his hunt and his buddy’s hunt. If they had been in paperback form when I had the tag, I would have worn them out. The area took a toll on me, physically and mentally, and I left it without a sheep, vowing that I would never do something like that again.

After a month or two, the pain of the hunt faded and I started planning on how I could make things better on the next trip. One of the things that still stung was the memory of how my 9.5 pound rifle felt like an anchor as we trudged through 12-15” of snow back to the Crags trailhead and later when we climbed from the river. T Bone’s choice of a Remington 700 Ti started making a lot of sense.

A couple years later, in a local gun store, I found a discontinued 700 Ti with a non-closeout (more like collector) price tag. For whatever reason, the rifle didn’t move and I wound up getting it for a decent price a few years later. If I were to go back to 27-2, that is the rifle I would take. That country is brutal and I think the more gear weight you can shed, the better.

I had one long trip planned. If I were doing it again, I would plan on more time but break it up into at least two trips.

FYI, the road from the Crags Campground can get pretty interesting with a lot of snow. We found that out in mid-September. Also, later in the hunt, we located what could have been a rattlesnake sanctuary when we accessed the unit by crossing the main Salmon. Even though I did not get a ram, I still value the memories of my time there.

I had a tag in the unit upstream of yours. I spent 18 days in there over the course of 3 trips in. you are dead on about good lightweight gear is crucial. I had smoke, blizzards, and rain on my hunt so being prepared for everything is essential which is where good gear is a must have. that country will test you mentally and physically with extreme terrain and low densities of sheep I came out heavy and can't wait to go back in there for a goat one day.

T-BONE Killer ram and goat from that area, good luck to you OP on your adventure with your buddy rams down or not. Either way it will be an epic season full of adventure your gonna remember forever.

T-BONE Killer ram and goat from that area, good luck to you OP on your adventure with your buddy rams down or not. Either way it will be an epic season full of adventure your gonna remember forever.

For the record, that picture of the ram that I posted is not my ram. It is Oscar's (Moosie's). Mine was smaller. So much smaller.

For the record, that picture of the ram that I posted is not my ram. It is Oscar's (Moosie's). Mine was smaller. So much smaller.
Well congrats to you and moosie..... what's the goat story. That guy looks pretty decent too.

T bone and moosie are going to have the best info. A couple of guys here have hunted there multiple times. I'll do a write up on my really limited first time bumbling through there hunt later. I'd start thinking about horses or llamas if I where you. It would get you into some good places.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back