MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Unit 18/14 Spring Bear (Turkey?)

JaredMoon

Hey everyone! So, after speaking with some outfitters/pilots and having new military orders which will push my timeline left into the first/second week of May I am now trying to find a new location to get into some spring bear hunting in Idaho. I am a solo hunter so I am avoiding areas which are known for grizzly activity (as I'm newly married my wife doesn't want me eaten just quite yet).

So that has brought me to Units 18 and 14. I am interested to hear knowledgable opinions on the matter or even a little help.

Unit 18 Idea: Set off from Seven Devils Campground area and head out to a base camp around Basin Lake. Based on some similar elevation cams I've seen it appears the area may be mostly free of snow and hopefully in full green up attracting bears.

Pros:
Beautiful Area
Great Glassing Terrain
Maybe some fishing opportunities
High elevation may keep pressure down

Cons:
Big pack in
Might be a little cold
Seems like an "all or nothing hunt." Meaning, if the bear aren't around I'm fully committed to the hunt
Full price Spring Bear Tag

Unit 14 Idea: Work my way in my truck to Florence Basin Area (onX: 45.53100 -116.04446) then set out on foot to scout the meadows at lower elevation. If I dont find any fresh sign then I can head up into the western Frank Church Wilderness and take a look at higher elevations.

Pros:
Beautiful Area
Lower elevation may mean less snow
Unit 14 Bear Tag is only $41.75
Flexibility to stay "low" in the meadows AND head up country if snow line is higher
Could bring my climber stand if I find some fresh sign in lower levels
May be turkey down low...gobble gobble :)

Cons:
Easy access may mean some serious pressure from other dogs/bait stations
Lower elevation means it is less easy to glass
Pressure
Pressure

Thank you all for any info you can provide. I will be solo so I am flexible as long as it's safe.

Any help/thoughts would be great...everyone seems a bit tight lipped haha

Based on your timing, I would focus your efforts mid level in any of the main drainages around Riggins. The wild onions are just starting to pop at low elevation.

Turkeys won’t necessarily be congregated low either. I’ve seen lots of turkeys in the snow.

I can’t help you with specifics on either unit. I would just say be willing to be flexible based on where you can get to (drifts, washouts) and don’t overthink it.

Based on your timing, I would focus your efforts mid level in any of the main drainages around Riggins...

Thank you very much. I appreciate the response and hope people understand I'm not looking for specific hunting spots (ie to give away secret spots) but rather a general assessment of Unit 14 vs Unit 18 (bear density, altitude, etc.)

Pretty good bear numbers all through Snake and Salmon River country.

Are you driving? If so, good point above. You could hunt out of North Fork and hit the eastern side of the Frank and save a lot of driving.

You don't need to come that far into the state to hit bears...

Appreciate the note, as of your and JLS' note I have started looking on the east side of the Frank but it appears distance in (and hopefully weight) out will be an issue. I am in pretty good shape but am also aware that packing loads of weight over mountains can be a struggle for even the toughest person. I have been looking in 18 & 14 based on the 'goldilocks' zone where I can get away from pressure (predominately of hounds and bait) yet not have to pack out a kill 40 miles. That being said, I am VERY open to suggestion and expertise about Idaho.

Why do you feel you need to pack in that far? Are you buying a reduced price tag? Lots of good bear habitat on the NE side of the Frank.

You only have to be 200 yards from a road or water source...creeks, rivers. Believe me...bears are plenty close to civilization, you don't need to hike miles back to get one.

You only have to be 200 yards...
Why do you feel...

I was being a facetious when I said 40 miles but there are a few reasons why I prefer to get fairly deep into the wilderness. First and foremost has to do with pressure. Particularly in areas where hunters are using dogs and bait (not that I have any personal issue against those methods of take), I'd prefer not disturb their sets nor be disturbed by their dogs. Second, given that I am spot and stalk bow hunting and that many locations at lower altitudes and/or near to population centers can be pretty densely vegetated I'd prefer to get to places where I can glass up a hill side and plan out my stalk (looking back to #1) without feeling rushed to make a kill before a rifle hunter makes a shot from another canyon. Third, I find hunting the true backcountry rewarding in and of itself - meaning my hunting experience is bettered by it.

All of that being said, as my signature block reads, if my only option is to hunt in someone's backyard then I am more than happy to do so.

I believe I have my hunt plan set now but I will most definitely take a firm look at the NE of the Frank as a back up. Thank you gentlemen for your notes!

Would really appreciate any tips/suggestions you have after making this trip. Also a non-res looking to give unit 18 a go for black bear in late May.

My biggest concern is being able to access the trail systems. Most things I’ve read online say the roads are mostly inaccessible until late June. Anyone familiar with this area have any suggestions?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back