MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Super Tag Elk Hunt with Scott Jones

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you know Scott Jones. He is a dear friend for 37 years. Last year he lucked out and got one of the Idaho elk Super Tags. He has helped a lot of people on hunts and this was a chance for all of us to return a few favors. He deserves even more.

Scott had just underwent a replacement of his other knee in June of last year. The idea of him trekking the mountains was a bit daunting, but he's not easily deterred.

Those of you who subscribe to Fresh Tracks+ have already seen this day-by-day series. For those who have not seen it, here is the first of those episodes.

Some of you know Scott Jones. He is a dear friend for 37 years. Last year he lucked out and got one of the Idaho elk Super Tags. He has helped a lot of people on hunts and this was a chance for all of us to return a few favors. He deserves even more.

Scott had just underwent a replacement of his other knee in June of last year. The idea of him trekking the mountains was a bit daunting, but he's not easily deterred.

Those of you who subscribe to Fresh Tracks+ have already seen this day-by-day series. For those who have not seen it, here is the first of those episodes.

Scotty the Body got a hell of a bull!

@Addicting - Scott took the bull to a meat shop the next morning. The hinds, bone in, were both between 80-85#. I've never seen anything like it.

As for score, I don't think Scott ever bothered to get it scored. Some rough estimates by a couple guys in camp had it easily at 360.
Bigger hinds than any Canadian moose I have ever shot. My best elk the binds went 60 or 65 and he ended up dressing 508

The genuine excitement and emotion after the shot between the three of you made that episode for me. Big antlers, sure thats cool, seeing the three of you that stoked, I'm sure that's a memory you three wont be forgetting any time soon. That's what hunting is about for me, making memories with friends and family. Congrats on the bull Scott, it's a stud!

Really awesome bull. Congrats, Scott! It looked like a super fun experience for a guy who willingly helps out his friends. I’m glad Mr Jones got the chance.

Last edited:
That was a great series, i was surprised to see all the other trucks and hunters for only 5 tags in the unit. You would like with 5 tags, you'd never see another hunter in the unit.

That was a great series, i was surprised to see all the other trucks and hunters for only 5 tags in the unit. You would like with 5 tags, you'd never see another hunter in the unit.
If it’s one of the units I think it is it also draws most and sometimes all the other hunters with super tags, so potentially more super tags hunters than drawn.

That was one heck of a bull! Hefty sucker for sure those backstraps were massive. What an experience to hunt such a great unit with all that action. Gets me pumped for NM elk.

Great film and story. Scott definitely had the right mindset going into that hunt and was blessed with all your support.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back