Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Sheep Hunt Pics

T Bone

Heres somes pics of the sheep hunt.

Here's the Oscarmobile with the llamas loaded up. The llamas are from Thundercreek Llamas in Boise. Highly recommended.
Sheep_hunt_030002.sized.jpg

Fresh Sheep sign.

Sheep_hunt_030003.sized.jpg

Hitting the trail at Crag's campground trailhead. Pardon the vacationer clothing. Didn't see any reason on wearing wool on the warm high mileage pack in.
Sheep_hunt_030004.sized.jpg

Vertical country. We found sheep from the bottoms all the way to the tops.
Sheep_hunt_030005.sized.jpg

Dad at Ship Island Lake. (12 miles in)
Sheep_hunt_030006.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-20-2003 17:35: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Glassing in Parrot Creek drainage (15 miles in)
Sheep_hunt_030007.sized.jpg

"X mountain" Lots of fresh sheep sign here! 17 miles in.
Sheep_hunt_030009.sized.jpg

This is the bowl where I spotted and stalked the group of rams. Instead of blowing out the top they fishooked around me through the trees at 80 yards.
Sheep_hunt_030010.sized.jpg

Ram rub in the hangout. The place stunk of sheep.
Sheep_hunt_030011.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-20-2003 17:38: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Then it got wet and cold for 4 days straight. Note Dads cotton pants.
Sheep_hunt_030012.sized.jpg

Would someone please put an arrow in this bull? The elk get zero pressure here. Rut was in full swing.
Sheep_hunt_030013.sized.jpg

More white out. Watch your step.
Sheep_hunt_030015.sized.jpg

Llamas packed up to go down below the whiteout. 19 miles in.
Sheep_hunt_030016.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-20-2003 17:43: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Believe it or not you are looking at 5 rams in the picture. One being a B&C contender. They are in the dark gray shale and boulders near the top of the mountain. They are 700-800 yards away.
Sheep_hunt_030017.sized.jpg

Dad after we got him warmed up again. He was pooped.
Sheep_hunt_030018.sized.jpg

No name alpine lake. Most of the lakes had lots of 6-10 inch trout.
Sheep_hunt_030019.sized.jpg

Back home with my daughter.
Sheep_hunt_030020.sized.jpg

Not exactly a trophy, but this is what I have to show of my hunt. I bought these boots specifically for the hunt. The rocks are tough on gear. My dad dropped and broke his $600 binos. We were lucky not to get hurt when they were covered with snow and ice.
Sheep_hunt_030021.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-20-2003 17:49: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Those are terrific pics T-Bone! Was this your first time using Lamas? I recon a guy could go pretty light on the back with those critters help'n out. What does something like that cost to rent...if you don't mind me asking. Those boots...almost look like the Cabela's/Meindl's Alaskan boot. I have a pair of the Meindl Canadians and I've had them for four years now. They have taken serious abuse on sheep, goat, brown bear, black bear, caribou, moose, and deer hunts and they still are holding up strong. I had to replace the boot laces before heading out on this last hunt, but other than that, they are a damn fine boot.

Thats too bad you didn't score on a ram. I had my hopes up for you. Thanks again for the pics, and welcome back home.

Jim

All I can say is amazing. That is some great country and it is apparent the reason you guys didn't get your sheep was not because a lack of effort.

I am also curious about the llamas. Cost, weight they can haul, etc.. Were there any downsides?

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

Awesome pics!!!!! That place MAY just be God's Country!!!!

You think the two big rams were the ones I passed the info on? Shoot me a PM if you want.

I was 100% impressed with the llamas. I called around to a couple places for llama rentals and most weren't too keen on the idea of leaving them alone for 2 days at a time in bear, lion, and wolf country without checking on them.

Thundercreek Llamas is a business owned by a family of hunters. They suggested watering them in the morning, picketing them and spike camping out that day, overnight and all the next day. Thats what we did. The llamas were in excellent shape and are extremely low maintainance. They are more sure footed than humans. Fully loaded the 1st day each carried 65-70 pounds and went 12 miles.

The rental fee was $30.00 per animal per day. Fee covered all llama pack gear. I thought it very reasonable and will use them again in the future. There's no way we could have backpacked 2 weeks worth of goods that kind of distance.

The boots are North Face something or other mountaineering boots. Very comfortable and kept my feet dry the whole time.

Gunner,
I doubt the bachelor group I found was the same you mentioned. My group was about 3 miles from the river up in the high stuff. From the looks of it they'd been in that hangout all summer. They probably won't go down to the river until the rut.

We hunted the low stuff for 3 days total. When we weren't being molested by rutty elk we glassed and only found one nursery group of ewes and lambs. I'm sure there are rams scattered from the river all the way to the tops of the top.

If/when I draw that tag again I'm going for a month instead of 2 weeks. The llamas will defineatly be going with me as well.

Tyson.... I'll Drop you a Line When I get Home. These Pics Aren't showing up on this Dinasour I logged into up here in IGLOO Country
frown.gif
But Looking foward !!!

Glad you and your Dad are out Safe !!! Talk to ya soon bud !!

Man, where is this x-mountain. I have seached every map I can get my hands on, and nothing.
wink.gif

Awsom pictures Tyson.
Thoses have to be the most rugged looking mountians I have ever seen.
To be up there, living in that country, doing the things you did, I'd call it a very sucsessful hunt.
You tied your tags to the memories man, and it looks like the're priceless.

thanx for sharing your adventure T-bone..l bet your knees were glad you had helping hooves..ds

Awsome pics TBone, I'm really glad your dad went with you for the memories of having him along. Great story and lots of fun...Thanks...
biggrin.gif

mtmiller-

Get on ARCVIEW and put a 17mi buffer around Crag's Campground Trailhead! Should get you close!!!
wink.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back