Idaho Mule Deer hunt

akina67

Hi I'm new to this thread. I am 53 years old and finally planning my first out-of-state hunting trip to Idaho for mule deer rifle hunt Oct 10-18. There will be three of us going. I backpack hunt and like to put the miles on the feet. I'm looking at hunting 36B or 66a. I like to get off the beaten path. This is my first mule deer hunt I know the mountains are steep but where I have hunted black tails deer all my life the mountains are steep and rugged as well, just the way I like it. (Less snow though🙂) Any information would be much appreciated and helpful thanks.

Since you like to put in the miles on foot, you are not likely to get in trouble with the Motorized Hunting Rule. Do read those pages in the rule book, though. Page 106?
DO get a wolf tag. You can use a NR Deer or Elk tag on a predator (page 112), but the wolf tag is cheap, why burn your deer tag?

Layers

Hi I'm new to this thread. I am 53 years old and finally planning my first out-of-state hunting trip to Idaho for mule deer rifle hunt Oct 10-18. There will be three of us going. I backpack hunt and like to put the miles on the feet. I'm looking at hunting 36B or 66a. I like to get off the beaten path. This is my first mule deer hunt I know the mountains are steep but where I have hunted black tails deer all my life the mountains are steep and rugged as well, just the way I like it. (Less snow though🙂) Any information would be much appreciated and helpful thanks.

Welcome to hunt talk. I did my first mule deer hunt in Idaho 4 years ago at 55. I also am a lifetime coastal Backtail hunter. I have not hunted the GMU's you specified but mule deer hunting is a different style of hunting to say the least.
One piece of advice I can offer; Find a high spot and sit down and watch...a lot. Not a whole bunch of "still hunting through the timber" happening in this country, you will get tired in a hurry.

Welcome to hunt talk. I did my first mule deer hunt in Idaho 4 years ago at 55. I also am a lifetime coastal Backtail hunter. I have not hunted the GMU's you specified but mule deer hunting is a different style of hunting to say the least.
One piece of advice I can offer; Find a high spot and sit down and watch...a lot. Not a whole bunch of "still hunting through the timber" happening in this country, you will get tired in a hurry.

This is great advice. Bring good optics, including a spotter. Also, get on IDFG's website and go through the statistics on the units you're looking at. The interactive map is pretty good and will show you the roads, trails, wilderness, etc. That might help you get a flavor for each unit, and which might be more conducive to backpack hunting. I haven't hunted either of those units.

This is great advice. Bring good optics, including a spotter. Also, get on IDFG's website and go through the statistics on the units you're looking at. The interactive map is pretty good and will show you the roads, trails, wilderness, etc. That might help you get a flavor for each unit, and which might be more conducive to backpack hunting. I haven't hunted either of those units.
Thanks for the info. Sitting on ridge lines and glassing was definitely my plan.

How was your hunt? I just barely saw this thread. Otherwise I could have been more help. Either way I hope you found some wolves. A hound got killed last spring in 66A by them and 36B isn’t worth hound hunting because of the wolves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back