Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Moose Tex Creek 69-2

You are certainly doing your homework and laying out your plan!! Best of luck on the scouting/hunting. I drew a NH moose tag in 2014 and a Maine moose tag in 2019...the planning/scouting was foremost on my mind both years and extremely fun and valuable.

Next step: Take advantage of the private lands open to the public by understanding where they are and their rules. I like to put a waypoint at these locations on my ONX and in the notes feature include all of this information there.

Idaho Access Yes! Properties
East of Ririe Reservoir/Meadow Creek Junction
Description: Rangeland, CRP
Private Land: 1506 acres
Public Land: No public land is accessible.
Available: 4/25/2019 - 4/25/2023
Access: Unlimited

All of the other Access Yes! properties are not open at the start of my hunting season. I'll need to check back in August to see if they are renewed or any new ones open up for the 2020 hunting season.

Been a busy few days plus this next step takes a bit of time.

I'm sure a bunch of you are going to say that this is a complete waste of time but its something I started doing after I watched a hunt Randy did where he expected the Elk to be up high and after not finding any good sign or Elk, he dropped down lower and got into them. I personally have a very tough time looking at a topo map and being able to read and understand the lay of the land on a large area scale. So to help with this, I like to create area shapes on my ONX map that represent a high elevation gradient for the area I'm hunting. I have found that by doing so it really helps me while in the field to easily see drainage, high glassing points, vegetation changes due to altitude, etc. It is a lot of work and a keen eye doesn't need the visual aid but I spend the time and do it. One day maybe ONX will add a gradient feature on their maps so I no longer have to do this! Navionics allows you to do it with water depths, should be able to do it in ONX.

1590600279612.png

For anyone following along, I'm sorry for the slow progress and actually this is going to be on hold for a couple weeks. I need to focus my time right now on research for my Kentucky Elk hunt as the drawing for the areas/units is now just 1 month away. With very little information out there, I have a lot of work to do!

You are going to have a good hunt in 69-2, I’ve heard the bulls are pretty much average but a few good ones are shot here and there. I’m a resident that is fairly close to that area, but when I put in for moose next year it will be elsewhere. Good luck and I can’t wait to see what you pull out of there!

The Tex Creek Wildlife Management area is a good place to try later in the season, the later the better. Mid November, the leaves are down and spotting them in the snow is easier. The moose will migrate from the higher elevations to the lower. When I've been hunting elk during the season, a lot more moose were seen than elk. Some nice bulls in there. The area around the farm/crop is good in the WMA. Some of the lower areas will have moose year round. I live in the eastern part of Idaho Falls and hunt/fish this unit a bit. The Ranger will be handy, bring chains for it, the roads will freeze in the morning and thaw into nasty mud in the afternoon. If you don't harvest early, the last 8 days should be great. Good luck!

I elk hunted in that area last year and seen more bull moose than elk. I don’t wanna make you over confident, but I think it’ll be like a Wyoming antelope hunt. If you just wanna fill a tag, you’ll be done fast. Or you can take your time and look over a lot of bulls to find a trophy.

I elk hunted in that area last year and seen more bull moose than elk. I don’t wanna make you over confident, but I think it’ll be like a Wyoming antelope hunt. If you just wanna fill a tag, you’ll be done fast. Or you can take your time and look over a lot of bulls to find a trophy.
Your about the 10th guy to tell me that lol

By the way, the biologist told me that the idea of moose migrating in this area is a total myth per their research studies. Idk why everyone is saying this, maybe it's because with the leaves they are hard to see. The majority of the moose live year round in unit 69-2 on the eastern border along with the western border of 66-1 and 66-2. Some do stray all the way up into the high drainages of unit 66. Their annual migration is only a short distance from the transition area they summer in on the area described above to the lower agricultural areas in the winter.

Well I am currently up in unit 66 elk hunting and we have been constantly bumping a monster moose. We are just to the northwest of little elk mountain. Lots of moose in the bear creek drainage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back