Idaho Moose 2022

44hunter45

I thought an actual thread about hunting would be a nice off-season change.

We can use this thread to post our IDFG draw rejection notices and throw crap at all the NRs who drew our tags.

I've decided the same old GMU has too long of odds for me. I'm wearing out GH Filter2.0 looking for a new spot.

I'm thinking I'm putting in for a zone in the Grizzly corridor hunt basically strapping on a belted magnum while I fly fish. There shouldn't be any issues keeping my 26" barrels out of the water are from tangling my WF4F.

You could always do what my old man did back in the 90’s. That was right after Al Gore invented the internet and dad looked online and found the moose unit with the highest draw rate, 75%. Didn’t look to see what unit it was… turns out they used to run a hunt in 12 that you had to be within the Wilderness Area… so take off from Gates of the Wilderness, walk 5 miles, then start hunting moose.

Both sides of the Lochsa are looking pretty good for odds and bigger bulls. Density is poor. I think you would have to live in the unit for a month.

Both sides of the Lochsa are looking pretty good for odds and bigger bulls. Density is poor. I think you would have to live in the unit for a month.
Are you recruiting a posse yet?

I thought an actual thread about hunting would be a nice off-season change.

We can use this thread to post our IDFG draw rejection notices and throw crap at all the NRs who drew our tags.

I've decided the same old GMU has too long of odds for me. I'm wearing out GH Filter2.0 looking for a new spot.

I'm thinking I'm putting in for a zone in the Grizzly corridor hunt basically strapping on a belted magnum while I fly fish. There shouldn't be any issues keeping my 26" barrels out of the water are from tangling my WF4F.
I’m sticking with the unit I want around my house another year then considering changing things up in the future when I don’t draw again

I can’t wait for another fall of talking to people that drew on their first try and shoot a dink

What about <4 yr residents that drew a moose tag last year? :whistle:

I had been debating putting in for some of the Lolo hunts that have better odds last year but changed my mind at last minute and got lucky. The one area I had decided on for 2022 if I did not draw in 2021 seemed to have the right combo of draw odds and success rates.

First week of Nov I saw some WA guys in the CDA Winco (buying Busch light and PBR) parking lot with nice bull that had some cool character with splitting brow tines and serious mass, but not very wide. They said there was a hot cow and multiple bulls chasing it the first week of Nov. Some of those late season hunts seem like a good option.

I’m sticking with the unit I want around my house another year then considering changing things up in the future when I don’t draw again

I can’t wait for another fall of talking to people that drew on their first try and shoot a dink
Does it make you feel any better to know that I shot a dink after applying for about 12 years? My mainly wilderness hunt area was about an 8 hour drive from Moscow, where I was attending college. I ended up solo after the first weekend as all of my planned help decided that archery elk hunting was more fun. So, when I had an opportunity to shoot one with my recurve about a mile from the truck, I took it.

Several years later, I did get a narrow-paddled 49.5” bull on a leftover tag.

Draw odds in my Mtn Goat unit will be slightly higher this year. I'm not applying. Would be my luck that I'd finally draw the year I have no time off... and my wife wouldn't let me quit my job to go hunting...

Does it make you feel any better to know that I shot a dink after applying for about 12 years? My mainly wilderness hunt area was about an 8 hour drive from Moscow, where I was attending college. I ended up solo after the first weekend as all of my planned help decided that archery elk hunting was more fun. So, when I had an opportunity to shoot one with my recurve about a mile from the truck, I took it.

Several years later, I did get a narrow-paddled 49.5” bull on a leftover tag.
Maybe?!? At least you put some time in and knew what you were doing.

The ones that get to me are the ones that just don’t care; I always wonder why they apply. I talked to a guy a couple years ago that “hunted” every day of the season until he got one. His hunt was riding his utv from his house to a pond about 500 yards from his house and seeing if a moose was there. If not he just turned around and went home. He shot a dink bull, proceeded to drag it to his house with a tractor and then was complaining about the antlers getting beat up by the chain he drug it with.

I talked to a guy 12-15 years ago that had shot 2 or 3 nice bulls on leftover tags. He was really bummed when the unit started getting applications again because he really had it figured out

I got lucky and drew ….from what I hear it’ll be a tough hunt but I’m excited!

Last edited:
Unit 10 is an old elk favorite back in the 80's. Also worked forest plots there but both were on the unit 10 - 12 border so haven't been in 10-3.

My favorite habitat type is there. Western Red Cedar with wild ginger as a forb. Boots will smell good.

10 tags with about a 50% success over the years. I'm sure there a scattered big bulls in the 50 inch range.

Bluffgruff - where are you hunting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back